Boat in a Barn

smallboatshop

Restorers
I fellow in Bridgton, Maine asked me to look at this boat for possible id. Neither of us had a tape but it's about 18-20' long. Sebago Boat & Canoe was near by but it looks like they didn't make them this large. I have little experience with Rangeley Boats, but thought they had wineglass sterns.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• JB Bow to stern.JPG
    JB Bow to stern.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 356
  • JB Deck.JPG
    JB Deck.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 310
  • JB Metal tag on Stem.JPG
    JB Metal tag on Stem.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 299
  • JB Oarlock Pad.JPG
    JB Oarlock Pad.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 310
  • JB Outside stem detail.JPG
    JB Outside stem detail.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 297
On transom shapes on Rangeley boats, see:

http://www.grapeviewpointboatworks.com/rangeleyinfo.html

"After WWI, the increasing use of outboard motors led to a return of the transom. Some boat converted by cutting off the end, and attaching a plank to support the motor. These improvised conversions had a tendency to settle too much in the stern, so various design changes and modifications were used to overcome this difficulty. The after section were widened and flattened to provide more support for the motor. After a certain point, though, these changes resulted in a boat that no longer rowed very well."

The transom on the pictured boat has what looks like an outboard motor mounting pad, so whether it is a Rangeley boat or not, it seems as though it was designed to carry the weight of an outboard and stern-sitting operator.

Rangeley

If I can pull the foggy images of scraping and painting Rangeleys from my youth out of the noggin, I would say there were plenty of later outboard Rangeleys without the wineglass transom. Plus yours is painted the oh so familiar green on the outside and gray on the inside.

Looks like a latter Rangley to me. The rangleys had three stages of construction, first as a rowing boat and then latter to accomadate motors. first the double ender, then the wineglass and then the full transom.
Rollin

Back