Board for solo heeling

HSR

Some time ago there was a post (possibly not here) regarding a board an individual made to facilitate heeling the canoe in the solo position (classic Canadian Canoeing) for someone with limited knee flexibility. This board would sit on a gunwale on the low side and on the floor on the other end and be horizontal when the canoe was heeled.
I have lost the information picture/link to this item. If anyone here can help I would appreciate the information. rosenthalhowards@gmail.com

I was there when we introduced Charles to the use of the plank. I use one but have stuck a piece of bicycle inner tube on the underside of the part which rests on the gunwale and some high density foam on the section which rests on the bottom of the hull. Top tip is to make the plank wide enough so that it will span two rips and not put pressure on the planking between the ribs.

When I started Canadian Style canoeing, I've tried quite some solutions for painless kneeling.
From Yoga pillow (great contact, but still painfull at the ankles), meditation bench (too tippy), hanging seat (very comfortable) to the mentioned plank.
With the plank on the gunnel, I was pushing the gunnel under water too easily sometimes.

So finally my solution is kind of a combination of the plank and a hanging seat:
I've put a loop on the inner gunnel (make trials to find your position).
On this loop, the plank is attached with one end (just hang in from top), while the other end rests on a kneeling mat (to avoid prints on the soft cedar). The blank is easily removable, when I want to change the position to sit on the seat.
I've made one from ash and another one from cherry for different boats.

with 10cm (4''), lenght 74cm (~29''), thickness ~1.5mm (~5/8 ")

board1.jpg

board2.jpg

board detail1.jpg

cherry board.jpg

For me this solution is quite comfortable an I have good contact with the canoe.
And it's less visible than the board on the gunnel.

I have 3 different canoes which I use my plank with. Each one is a different depth and width so to get things just right for each canoe I’ve made an adjustable plank. The two parts slide along a tongue and groove and are held with a wingnut and bolt.

AD_4nXfls_tHycKZBPUnB-cu63FDDmxXiciL2307rQJ0rLjqV9VI8RNSMlocxaa_M_yAyd5kgklTG7tzdpoySp3v9KJ5HTwfJ2doL2aps5JDPoakW02IwBqfVXQ5fHH-tpZf6WAQMEjvI2s_cYXE1AnZbPxOW2wN
AD_4nXexcyyzKDIkkzjT4p20w91R0jBpevJmwJJwl8uNSaj2VY7RT-1mwWQjZ7mh6-Q3hrUKxzDvGZgz-Wx4dBMZEyppJFrDdajmQq4Bdjc6DXp4_-enGwGGSYcv8Y84pPqMp5M3arjjXzMP87ekgCJhW9-ggy77
AD_4nXcUixdjIWheFczqWpksfVLMrBgCF9FCCa0Cg0Uxfalsh7BGJFtILRA0GnPg0jvG84DduZf3CslGfjrGqF6cne5czuHgiPle0WeDDJU2KgANNDKAb3f_Gbt1vzaoBls318_r_4yI_wnSWwektmRCxmMFPX7D

I like to have the plank at an angle in the boat so the curved end is designed to rest securely at a range of angles, and the other end (which is long enough to spread the weight over a few ribs) also adjusts to suit the angle. The consideration of adjustable angle and length means it can be used in any boat and either left or right handed with the boat edged as much or as little as you want. It is ideal for people to try out the idea and work out and measure the size and angle they would want to have for any particular boat

AD_4nXebl-nvjs80gtTexg0QRbQRowiqD-jOEjFMILIQF2bFAioghs32p9dHS2sRcjA8TVw4nJ2c9avd8thCQ2pCA_qvGRkaZ_COTr4RYvdbm7dXu32t-y-QJ0uQlUd6eVAGZqhF1Z5fH2oFTAZDbeyeTErkZD3A
AD_4nXcUG2a3CGWo1Xxu6HKCOo606Vvya_OXx8Rm0cjgsxhlo9A-KoxqyEktDLiF0RteMEnzEAw2xlfaTVhKa9Danp9c9YsF4b4jNXVWGoo_etzX-Zwb-WwSrRQuxHLfK4w6lYnsgmJg4gi6BT1G4EcwualakaSi
AD_4nXfPFIUJm8PBnjoHiizCaMTyopUwsamyomOJIPULMTmPlC0uC5OjgT1VqIsPgES_hvMQGbjS6PHiMc5oomH_kThmI1AdGueYtMo2c8EXlA8eXA9_2N5fKgmNyWvZHBxoQQyndkDpPsQPvBlyY4T2-txB_Zg

Now I've proved the concept, I ought to get round to varnishing it!

Sam

Well, live almost 80 years and learn.

I'd never seen or even heard of a Welsh plank before. Paddling a wide tandem canoe Canadian style is not my preferred cup of tea—especially when in rapids, wind or heavy waves, or for efficient use of cross strokes—but if one wants to paddle that way and doesn't have a centralized solo seat, the removable plank is downright ingenious. To say nothing of the adjustable length one. Cushioning both ends makes eminent sense.

On the other hand, the plank limits you to paddling (with correction strokes) only on one side. I'm a proponent not only of cross strokes, but of ambidextrous paddling for both white and flat water. A centralized seat allows me to shift my weight to either side of the canoe when I want to switch paddling sides for a change of pace or for certain wind or wave conditions. I suppose the plank could be shifted in a few seconds, but not quickly enough for me when I want to use cross strokes or to change paddling sides.

Most of my paddling now is on lakes and slow rivers and I'm a +99% right side paddler so the plank suits me well.
A couple of times a year, I will take my royalex boat on moving water and the fitted kneeling thwart allows for cross deck strokes if needed. If I need to get on the off side while using the plank I just kneel high and push it out of the way with my thigh. I can get it back into place with one hand quite easily when the emergency is over

Great posts on the Welsh plank and variations.
Cole Bennett (Ontario) will bring a new kneeling thwart alternative to the Canadian Style Paddling (CSP) Rendezvous in Ontario on September 21-22, 2024. He'll have a few demo models to try out. For more information on that practically free, very fun event, see the Freestyle Canoeing website's CrossPost article called "Canadian Style Paddling Rendezvous!"… Stay tuned for more on Cole's alternative after that event. :)

Back