BN Morris serial number 13767

Warren Richardson

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am we'll along on the restoration of a Morris ser. No. 13767. I guess that the current theory of adding 2 to first two digits to date a Morris says this is a 1915 canoe. Other information about this canoe: length is 17ft 2 in, width is 32 in. W/o the outside wale, mahogany concave decks (not heart shape), closed gunwale with pockets for ribs, cedar inside splayed stem, 3 cant ribs, center thwart removable with nice brass thumb nuts, floor rack, stem bands fastened with rivets(stem bands missing), keel screws in every rib.

The keel and the outside wales were missing when I received the canoe. Can anyone comment on dimensions for these parts. Both of the decks have a 3/8 in. hole in the center area of the deck. Any idea why? Original factory feature or modification for a painter rope attachment?

Comments on date of manufacture for this one?

Your canoe may date from 1917, according to the chart in our KnowledgeBase: http://forums.wcha.org/knowledgebase/Manufacturers:B+N+Morris+Canoe+Company

The serial number is close to the cutoff for 1917, so it could be older. As more information comes to light-- especially if we find more paperwork with dates and serial numbers-- the dating-theory re Morris canoes may change.

The holes in your decks may be for flag (pennant/burgee) holders, which were diamond-shaped with a tube that went through a hole in the wood of the deck. I have a pair of flag holders in the larger size (for a long-deck canoe) and the hole diameter is 1/2 inch, so I would guess your decks might have had the smaller sized holders. These are sometimes available at the Assembly, and you might check with Ross Bros. in regard to reproductions-- and someone reading this may have a pair for sale.

Someone else will have to give you the dimensions you need-- I can't get to my canoes right now.

Thanks for this information on your Morris!

Kathy

Hello again, Warren--

With some of the canoes in the 12XXX-14XXX serial number series, the serial number plate is oriented with the shorter end parallel to the splay of the stem rather than the longer end-- perhaps as some worker's way of identifying the canoes he worked on.

I've attached an example of a s/n plate with this "alternate orientation". Let me know if yours is this way or the other-- "usual"-- way.

Kathy

Attachments

• serial plate 12416.JPG
    serial plate 12416.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 189
The serial number plate on the canoe I have has the alternative orientation as shown on the thumbnail picture.

Relative to the holes in the decks, Rollin suggested that they were for a flag holder but the one he showed me had a much larger hole as well as attachment holes to fasten it to the deck. The decks on this canoe do not have any signs if these screw holes.

Warren

Could be the holes were used for ropes (painters)... rope goes through the hole and a knot is tied on the end to hold it there... or the rope could go though and be tied to a painter ring on the stem (less risk of damaging deck). It's up to you to decide what to do with the holes... I'd turn them into flag-holder-holes, even if that isn't what was there originally. It's what can be found on Morris canoes, so it fits... even if it isn't what was present on your canoe. You could post pictures here and get opinions.

Back