Bedding compound alternative?

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Was browsing thru some old Wooden Boat magazines and came across an ad for "Sikaflex" marine sealant/adhesive and bedding material in the caulking gun size. Does anyone have any comments on this material as an alternative to buying those little cans of "Dolphonite":confused: Anything to cut costs on these restorations I am working on!
Thanks.........the "Frugal" canoe nut!:)

I've never used Sikaflex as a substitute for a bedding compound sich as Dolfinite because Sikaflex is a radically different product. Traditional bedding componds are designed to keep moisture out and to remain pliable (so you can separate parts later). Sikaflex is a very strong bonding agent. It cures, bodning pieces together with great strength. It is also an excellent moisture barrier. These are important properties where you want to bond parts together, essentially permanently, and where they will be exposed to constant moisture. On a canoe however (in my opinon), Sikaflex is gross overkill. Do you really want parts permanently bonded? And as moisture barriers, Dolfinite and related products work just fine.

Traditional bedding compounds are expensive- I don't know why. But cost will add up with Sikaflex too. The manufacturer cautions users that tubes are essentially one-time use, and not to hope to use partial tubes later because open product will cure in the tube. Dolfinite may skin over on the surface in a partially-empty can, but underneath, the product is still perfectly fine. One can will therefore last a long time.

Cost can sometimes be an issue, but in the long run you'll be much better served spending a little extra cash for a job well done. Another way to save- if you're working on only one canoe or small boat, buy a can of Dolfinite with some WCHA buddies and share!

Last edited:
From what I've seen rebuilding old sailboats with a lot of bedded hardware, traditional bedding compound seems to last far better over the years than any goo-in-a-tube that I've found so far. On a couple of these old boats, the bedding compound was the only thing on the entire boat that was still in good shape. I've tried just about every popular adhesive/sealant made for boat building at some point and though some of them do make pretty good flexible glue for specific applications, I won't use anything but bedding compound for regular bedding applications as I'm not at all convinced that the modern sealants will still be working as well ten or fifteen years down the road. I do know some people who have used plumber's putty (sometimes thinned a bit) who claim it works just as well, but haven't tried it myself.

With all the labor and materials that go into a high quality restoration, I can't believe that the cost of good bedding compound is going to break the bank. There is certainly nothing wrong with being frugal, but when a lot of labor is involved, cutting costs on materials is often false economy.

Thanks

:D Thanks for the responses....Thats what I love about this forum... Ask a question and get not only an honest answer but experienced opinions

If cheapness is your guide, then you can use the oil base cauking that is at the hardware store, used for cauking around windows and doors. It comes in a tube and is cheaper than bedding compound. Its better than nothing but sometimes you get what you pay for!

Back