Any ideas?

I asked the seller about any serial numbers and they responded saying "I looked again and I still can't find any numbers. I have taken close up pictures of the inside and still can't see any numbers where they are supposed to be. This boat was from Lawrenceville Pa. area, the people that had it said the family used in Penn Yan area." I have never seen sponsons like these and they don't look like the ones shown on page 32 of the 1933 Penn Yan catalog. Good luck,

Benson

This is an interesting canoe, and I have no idea what it is. Since it has a 98 PA sticker, the PA dept of watercraft might still have the registration info. However; there is no guarantee that the info is correct.

Seems like I can see a chamfer at the ends of the ribs, a la Thompson, did anybody else do that?

Glad it's in PA, I also need to be decreasing the herd, not increasing.

Dan

Dan,
Kennebec chamfered the rib tops. Have you seen a Thompson with half ribs without bilge stringers on the ends? The recurve and sponson end blocks suggest Thompson, although some Mass. built canoes had similar sponson ends. The canoe appears hogged, and that definitely suggests Thompson.

Seems like I can see a chamfer at the ends of the ribs, a la Thompson, did anybody else do that?

Yeah, Racine Boat Co. did. Not sure about RBMCo... See Wooden Canoe Issue 116 for more compare and contrast the different Racine canvas canoes.

Bow seat dropped on dowels.... not a Thompson trait and the sponsons look nothing like the Thompson sponsons here at the shop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I was interested from an educational perspective. Defniitely different.

The starting bid is down to $199. Anybody traveling through eastern PA through Ohio after the assembly?

Back