Any guesses?

Mark67

Curious about Wooden Canoes
During a picnic this weekend at our lake house, I found out my neighbor (in his 70's) has the classic "old wooden canoe" down in their boat house. It had been in there when they bought the cottage, in the early 70's. He invited me to come and see it. It was hanging in the rafters, and looked good. I went back this morning to get a better look, in good light. Well to me surprise, it is in very good shape. The planks are solid, the gunwales and stems in great shape, heck even the caning was still in tact, sorta. To my way of thinking, all it needs is a good cleaning on the inside, and a new canvas skin.
I've been trying to figure out what it is. There are NO markings on it, no serial number. So I've attached a few photos, hoping somebody out there can help.
My neighbor will be checking with his kids, to see what they want to do with it. I love to see another wooden canoe out on the lake.
The underside of the decks have a brass bar spanned across. It also has some neat old bow art, not sure what it is, or if it's significant.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 394
  • CLOSE UP OF ART.jpg
    CLOSE UP OF ART.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 348
  • Bow deck.jpg
    Bow deck.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 373
  • Underside of Deck.jpg
    Underside of Deck.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Stern Deck.jpg
    Stern Deck.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 320
Well, I'm going to guess Thompson. the bolt under the deck is like them. I think the planking looks Thompson. the rib tops don't look to be bevelled on the corners like Thompson tho. AND I am NOT good as canoe ID. But I figured it's been 24 hours since you posted so I thought I'd take a stab at it. The deck doesn't say Thompson either, I don't think. Where's Davie O?

Thanks for input. I appreciate the help. I've poking around a bit on the net looking for similar pics. I'm sure something will turn up.

In the mean time out enjoying our old canoe...

Mark

Attachments

• DSCF6212.jpg
    DSCF6212.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 190
Not a Thompson...they used a steel strap under the decks.
Shell Lake had a bronze rod under the deck, but nothing else says Shell Lake about it... I'm stumped.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the thoughts. My feeling is it'll just be an unnamed old canoe for the time being.
They might be contacting you about some work.

Gotta go now, and enjoy our last day here on the lake in Wisconsin!

Mark

Dave is right. I got it backwards on the strap/bolt issue. I should have known better. Take a real close look at the stems for numbers.

notice direction of planks.jpgAll right, so this canoe ended coming home with me last weekend. Still not closer to id'ing it. We've since stipped the canvas, and gave it a good scrubbing. Looks SO much better now.
I've attached a few more pics, in hopes that somebody might see something they think they recognize. Here are a few things I've noticed upone further review:
15-3" tip-to-tip
35-1/2" wide
The planking is a bit odd. It's horizontal until it hit about the water line, than it follows the curve of the hull
the plank tacks are all copper I think.
thwarts and seat all have the same recessed channel on the undsides, like hardwood flooring
the hardware is all plugged, which is neat
the planks are 3-7/8" wide
ribs are 1-3/4" wide by 1/4" thick
thwarts are 2" wide
Decks are heart shaped, 15-1/2 x 8", and beveled in the bottom surface
stems bands are tacked in
the further-most ribs, are extra wide, like 3 - 4"
I've attached some more pictures. Please take a look, and share any insights.
Yes, the starboard gunwale gets a bit wonky up near the bow. We think it may have spent some time resting on it's side. That should be interesting to try to correct.
brass sleave in seat hanger.jpgextra wide rib.jpgnotice direction of planks.jpg
starboard side.jpg

and a few more...
seat hardware.jpgStem band, taks.jpgunderside of thwart.jpg
any thoughts? Anyone?
Hope everybody has a great week.
Mark

Interesting canoe, distintive planking pattern and rise/shear profile at the ends.
Similar to some, but so different.
I have no idea.

Dan

The stem profile reminds me of a Lloyd Rehbein built canoe from Duluth MN. His canoes were kinda "tubby" and had outer stems. I don't recall his decks being heart shaped, though. I've done a couple, but never took photos. Maybe I forgot. Check Dan Miller's site.
Dave

PS: Mark, you missed a great weekend at Jag Lake!! Next year??

Dave,

Yup, Rehbein was one that it's similar to, the shear is close but slightly different, I looked at my images of several Rehbeins. And of course the decks and seats are very different.

The narrow planking is kinda Candianish, but.....

Dan

Back