AA grade Old Town Molitor model in original condition from 1921

Benson Gray

Canoe History Enthusiast
Staff member
This is an AA grade Old Town Molitor model in original condition from 1921. It has closed gunwales and pocked ribs like a Morris.

Attachments

• 65775.jpg
    65775.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 1,729
  • Molitor-1.jpg
    Molitor-1.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Molitor-2.jpg
    Molitor-2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,470
  • Molitor-3.jpg
    Molitor-3.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 1,509
  • Molitor-4.jpg
    Molitor-4.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 1,485
  • Molitor-5.jpg
    Molitor-5.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 2,155
Wow, that is stunning. You could easily make the case to leave it alone and not restore it, but it would be a shame not to be able to paddle it! Did you acquire this one?

it would be a shame not to be able to paddle it! Did you acquire this one?

Yes, I got it along with the one described at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?11487&p=59066#post59066 last year. This was just too nice to leave behind even though I wasn't really looking for another 18 foot canoe. The water test quickly indicated that the canvas needs to be replaced as the photo of the inside stern shows. It will probably get restored with new canvas in a few years. There doesn't appear to be any wood that needs to be replaced. It got through the window and is now upstairs at my house after a good cleaning.

Benson

Last edited:
It got through the window and is now upstairs at my house after a good cleaning.

I really must get your wife to speak to mine, any and all attempts to bring canoes into the house have been rebuffed with extreme prejudice. ;)

The roof base (opposite of wheel base) of today's cars is getting shorter and shorter.

The roof base (opposite of wheel base) of today's cars is getting shorter and shorter.

Yes, an eighteen foot canoe on a fourteen foot car is never going to look quite right. It seems much better in the water.

Benson

Molitor2.JPG

Last edited:
I've found that a big crowd of helpers isn't required to get a this canoe back into the house through a second story window. A chain fall makes it easier to make fine adjustments.

Benson

IMG_2912.JPG IMG_2913.JPG IMG_2914.JPG

It was very surprising to recently find a picture of this canoe in an old collection of Assembly photographs. It appears to have been displayed on the green in 1990 at Windham, Maine as shown below.

Benson

Molitor-7.jpg

Wow, was that 1990!! This canoe came to the assembly and was strikingly similar to an 18' Carleton Indian princess that I had restored for a customer. I had miss-identified the Carleton as a Kennebec. That was BI(before the internet). Eventually, the planking pattern of the Carleton gave away the true ID. This was one of the very early Molitors.

Back