A two part question from a practiced procrastinator

Troppo2929

Curious about Wooden Canoes
In doing my research I've seen that the properties of "Golden Oak" should work for rails, in and outwales. Used often for flooring, must be rugged, and steam bends well. There's plenty of Golden Oak around here. Opinions on using GO would be very helpful.

Also, just asking. Are there any tricks to cutting clean long scarfs with hand tools? A table saw is out of the question.

I have worked with wood in the past but this 16' OT seems to ask for the touch of a dentist, not a bricklayer and I want to get it right.

I don't know anything about "golden oak." If it is in the white oak family, it should be fine. If it is in the red oak family, better for firewood than a boat.

Scarfs can be cut in short order with a sharp chisel (robust enough for whacking with a mallet) to rough it out. Clean it up with a sharp jack plane. Make a jig with rails of the right taper for the plane to ride on, and it will automatically stop cutting when the scarf is finished.

I Agree with Dan, White Oak works Penn Yan used it, Red Oak is a waste of time.
A scarf can also, in a pinch, be done with a belt sander. Lay the two boards,staggered by the length of the scarf, and mark the second board for the final length on top of the first. Then, simply sand the coresponding angle with a belt sander. You do have to be carful to sand evenly, but it works.

Last edited:
Golden Oak is white ash with a yellow aka golden finish. It is a commercial name for a particular color used on ash cabinets and other woodwork in buildings made at different times. It has been used often. Close approximation is amber shellac on white ash.

if "GoldenOah is actually ash, then I would not recomend it. Ash is a porus wood and as such it soaks up finish and water. Ash generally stains quickly when in contact with the elements. While it does bend easilty it is best left to indoor furniture. I know moderrn canoe companies use it and oil it for gunnels, but most rot and have to be replaced. I am replacing ones on a Mad River in my shop presently...

In my shop, I'll be repairing ash gunnels for someone, next week or two... for the umpteenth time. Planned obsolescence?

Back