cutting scarf joint

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
simple set up for cutting scarf joint,bottom one already done.

Attachments

• DSC_0884.jpg
    DSC_0884.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 1,366
  • DSC_0883.jpg
    DSC_0883.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 1,278
Thanks for sharing this Craig. Looks like a good setup. I assume you have one hand pushing the blade against the guide block to minimize blade flexing(?). What is the inwale material? I would expect the blade to track something soft like spruce, but I wonder about cherry or ash. It must take a very light touch starting out. I've been thinking about something similar on our Rushton for the stem ends, but I'm mainly concerned about all of the hidden rusted off fasteners.

Last edited:
Hi Joe.
Inwale is mahogany, blade tracked fine, just don't rush it. Definitely want to make sure all hardware is accounted for first, blades aren't cheap.

Nice set up. It beats my eyeball method! The wedge gives you a nice guide surface on which to align a pull stroke saw.

If you cut the splice so the feather edge is on the rib side,PA250236.JPG it makes it much easier to clean up the splice joint. Having the feather edge end on the rib also helps support the tip of the rail as it is planed or sanded.

Craig, do you ever wonder what we did before we could pull a saw with a thin kerf? They do an amazing job. Just wish i could find a nice bronze plane that didnt cost an arm and a leg! I did buy my bronze iron from Rollin tho, have to splurge once in a while....

Back