A LITTLE RED CANOE

Greg Nolan

enthusiast
Driving from Brooklyn, NY to Dover-Foxcroft, ME, an 8 hour +/- drive, the music I listen to often includes a CD 1856: Songs of Hope and Home sung by Anonymous 4 with Bruce Molsky. It is a favorite when travelling alone (no audience) – I can sing along loudly and improvise harmonies without embarrassment.

Earlier this week driving north, though I have heard the pre-Civil War song Darling Nelly Gray many times before, the peculiarity of the song’s references to “floating down the river in my little red canoe” and “gone from the old Kentucky shore” caught my attention for the first time.

The singer, learning that his love, the slave Nelly Gray, has been sold from Kentucky to Georgia and he is mourning the fact that she is gone. They will never float down the river or be together – “My canoe is under water and my banjo is unstrung . . ..”

The song was first published in 1837. The composer, B. R. Hanby, was a composer, pastor, and abolitionist from Rushville, Ohio, a stop on the underground railroad. (He is also the composer of the carols Jolly Old St. Nicholas and Up On the Housetop.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelly_Gray_(song)#/media/File:Darling_Nelly_Gray_Sheet_Music_Cover.jpg

What kind of “red canoe” would a slave in Kentucky in 1837 have the use of? What kind of canoe would a churchman in Ohio be familiar with?
Birchbark? Dugout?

Birch trees are not native to Kentucky, and are unusual except at the northern edge of Ohio. I suppose that dugout canoes might have been in use – but were either birchbarks or dugouts regularly painted?

Any thoughts?

Greg

What kind of “red canoe” would a slave in Kentucky in 1837 have the use of?

This would most likely have been a dugout as you mentioned. Red paints were commonly available so it would not be unusual for a canoe to be painted. The link below is a book from 1826 that has lots of detail about the variety of canoes, pirogues, and other small boats that were in use on those rivers during that era.

Benson

You can find info on the web about Kentuckian Daniel Boone using dugout canoes. He supposedly built a 60 foot one to paddle the Ohio River into Missouri.

Back