."a half inch gold stripe with a double poppy scroll edged with carmine"

Todd F

Lifetime Member
Putting this out to the community. Anyone have any thoughts / experience with a double poppy scroll? Short of any firm suggestions I may use my creative license...which is scary! Thanks in advance.

Hi, TODD
There are infinite possibilities when you think of adding some gold to the finished impression your canoe will have . I did some earlier to several of my boats that were in the WCHA Keuka Lake Assembly as pictured in the Social Media page No. 20, pic No. 390 and Blott reposted it on 2-13, 22. Two boats do not show the bow images, but they incorporated a shield with paintings within. You can teach yourself to do this if you do not discourage easily. Have fun !
Dave

Dave, appreciate the encouragement and those are truly stunning! Where I am stuck at is the double poppy. Googled some images and I think where I am at is to do my own interpretation. Doubtful there are any images of any previous double poppy scrolls but you never know! Again, wonderful work.

Todd.....The double poppy is simply an exaggerated and single typical poppy blossom. It resembles a peony in size and texture but is on the much stronger stem and holds up longer in the garden. Check out the Eden Brothers catalogue for a pic of the red double blossom. Check out the Alamy site for " Flower Scroll Stock Photos . If you go through the first 6 pages you will get the idea as to how a single blossom could be used in the design. Your chore is to find what is right for you as it will be there for a long time. You could go simple and delicate or complex and extravagant with some gold leaf etc. Remember whatever you do try to integrate everything about the canoes image with everything about the design , its position, color etc. And above all, have fun with the process, No ?, and we will want to see your final product.
Dave

Back