55 consecutive months of Michigan rivers

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have paddled 55 consecutive months somewhere in Michigan. My consecutive streak may be over as the weather has been very bad this year. The little rivers are frozen over for long stretches and the bigger rivers have significant amounts of shelf ice and floating ice jams. Doesn't look like I will get out next week. So I guess I will start over as soon as possible

Geez, I thought I was the only one who logged that... I'm at 34 months now (northern Illinois... almost Wisconsin), but with only 3 free days in February, I'm not sure I'll make it any further... Does paddling in a swimming pool count?

Good for you, Jan! I think this should be a journal article, proving it's possible to embrace life (and canoeing) to the fullest even in the Frozen North!

Kathy

Hooray, the streak continues, got into the Paw Paw River for a few hours canoeing with a couple of kayaking friends this afternoon.

57 months and still at it. March will be back on the Paw Paw River. Today was on the Kalamazoo. A great variety of ducks, Common Merganser, Bufflehead, Goldeneye, Scaup and of course Mallard. No Eagles this year, probably because I took the camera just to take their pics. Saw 3 last year. Saw a Bluebird so maybe spring is out there somewhere.

Paul, you need to come up here in March. Probably be toward the end of the month either the 23rd or 30th.

Or you could come here, looks like I have the 16th free... I looked at google maps, and we're only three hours' drive apart. Pick up Pearson on the way!

Last edited:
Pearson is out of the way for me. I am quit a bit SE of him. The 16th, I would have to miss the Old Time music jam. That may be hard to do. We only have one jam a month. What river? How twisty is it? I like em small with meanders worse than a sidewinder.

Sounds like Nippersink Creek would be right up your alley. It's a twisty one, for sure! What's the option in Michigan?

Most of the rivers in SW Mi meander. The few that don't where channelized in the 1870s-90s. That would be Nottowa Creek and the Dowagiac River. Rivers in the first row of counties generally drain outwash plains. The Paw Paw River runs through Van Buren County to Lake Michigan at St Joseph where its mouth was hijacked by the St Joseph river. The Paw Paw makes meandering cuts through several moraines and outwash plains. When the water is up the low areas can be under water and you can be a 100 yards out of the channel paddling around in the woods. Lots of fun.

Back