25' war canoe 65567 25 information

woodmark

Looking for any information for a 25' war canoe serial # 65567 25. The numbers are a bit hard to read but this is my best guess. Thank you for any assistance.

The Old Town canoe with serial number 65567 is shown as 25 feet long, CS (common sense or standard) grade, Was model with western red cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, 30" decks, and equipped with a keel, outside stem, and a floor rack. The canoe was built between March and May 1921. The original exterior paint was dark blue, with a ½" gold stripe. It was shipped to ? , Wisconsin (I can't decipher the name of the town on the build record) on May 16, 1921. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link behind the thumbnail images attached below.

65567 - 0462.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe.

Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Greg

Sayner, Wisconsin.....
If it is still in the Sayner area, I'm within 8 miles.....
Let me know if you need any restoration help..
Dave

Thanks

Thank you very much for the information. The town is Sayner, WI where I believe the canoe was purchased by a girls camp - Warwick Woods. When the camp closed in the '60s (if my memory is correct) they put the canoe on top of the burn pile when the property went to the state forest. A staff member from the boys camp down the road, Camp Highlands, saw the canoe and saved it. It has been in use every summer since at Camp Highlands, which is still going strong since 1904.

The canoe was repaired at some point and the canvas replaced by a really sad fiberglass and epoxy job. At this point, I'm repairing it as cheap as possible, as the camp doesn't want to invest any money in it. Being stored outside every summer has taken it's toll.

Thanks again for your time.

Mark

Dave,

I was actually going to call you for some assistance but I have since solved the issue. I would like to drop in and talk sometime this summer when I'm in Sayner. Thanks for the offer.

Mark

Anytime, Mark..... Stop by. I'm 4 miles north of county N and hwy 51.
Too bad about the storage and repair situation.... This grand old vessel deserves better.
Maybe one of the camp alumni with means could come up with the funding for a proper restoration some day.

Caught my first legal musky in front of Camp Highland....oh so many years ago!
Dave

When I couldn't find a likely name on any of the lists of Wisconsin towns presented by Google, I gave up. Too small, apparently (pop. 207), to be on even official town lists. Glad you folks recognized the name.

Back