25 ft Canoe

Todd F

Lifetime Member
Does anyone have experience transporting a 25 foot canoe? I have moved many up to 17 ft on the rack in the pick up bed. I am thinking of buying or borrowing an appropriate trailer if needed. My concern is the length and weight so far beyond the 6 foot for and aft span of the rack I have. Has anyone configured something that could attach to the front bumper? Thanks in advance for advice and recommendations.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have a short bed so an additional 4ft would not work for a 25 ft. Going to be heading to Schroon Lake, then potentially Rome, and then to Naples NY before heading back to VA. May borrow a box truck and see if anyone needs some canoes moved if it fits the route and itinerary.

I carry a 20 in a Tacoma with standard bed racks. It works fine except for loading and unloading... That's a PITA. I have always resisted the 25's.

Ya dont see that everyday! My concern will be the condition of the canoe and having as much of it supported as possible.

For my 22' North Canoe I bought a small jet-ski trailer, extended the tongue by adding an additional piece of galvanized box tubing and built-in a chunk of 2x6 hanging out the back end. I managed to get five crosswise padded bunks on there, so the boat is well supported and the whole works was light enough that the jet ski trailer was fine. My wife and I once lifted it onto a Yakima rack on top of our Astro Van, but we can't imagine trying that these days. In either case, you get a lot of thumbs up and folks honking and waving when they see it.

Attachments

• DSCF0007a.jpg
    DSCF0007a.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 19
For years I used a front bumper mounted bar that I had welded from square 2". It bolted to the license plate area of the front bumper which was solid. the vertical was two bars and the horizontal was one bar. It worked well on my 3 series and pickup and cherokee. I still have it in the barn somewhere.

Looking to go with Daves idea. Will send pics of the temporary contraption that hopefully works and then come up with a more permanent solution

Back