1946 Old town Canoe

Old Town Rover

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a 1946 Old Town canoe serial number 137764.The seller does not have the build sheet, I don't know much about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome, the Old Town canoe with serial number 137764 is an 18 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, HW (heavy water) model with open spruce gunwales, ash decks, ash thwarts, ash seats, a keel, and sponsons. It was built between June and August, 1943. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on September 8th, 1943 to Norfolk, Virginia. A scan showing this build record can be found below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Good luck with the purchase,

Benson

OTC-137764.gif

Benson,
Thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly. I'm new too canoeing. I really like the early Old Town Canoes I mainly intend to use mine on lakes up in the Eastern Sierras or local San Bernardino Mountains in California. Do you think an 18 ft canoe might be to big for me and my kids ages 12 and 14. someone mentioned maybe a 16 foot may be a better fit, what are your thoughts.
Thanks,

Jason

Do you think an 18 ft canoe might be to big for me and my kids

Canoes are usually not 'too big' on the water. I've occasionally solo paddled and poled a 25 foot one without any issues. The full answer depends on a number of factors. How much do all of you (and your gear) weigh? What is your combined experience? What type(s) of water and weather conditions are likely to be present? The best approach may be to test it out in some safe conditions first to see what you think. A short test during a nice day in some shallow water on a lake will probably answer your question. Good luck,

Benson

Jason, you mention lakes and teen-age children. As Benson notes, how you intend to use it makes a difference.
In our family while growing up, we never considered 16 foot canoes as useful or desirable. To our style of paddling (camping, lakes, river cruising) the 17 and 18 foot Old Towns were always preferred. My father and I used to discuss this often and we agreed that the lines on a 17 or 18 foot boat are cleaner. They paddle better. Add to that the extra capacity, room and buoyancy, these were what we wanted for tandem paddling and tripping. My current favorite tripping canoe is a 17 1/2 foot Northwoods Canoe Atkinson Traveller. It is about as perfect as a canoe hull can be for someone who likes to truly use their canoes. On large snarly lakes, it is safe and easy to manage. Point it into a rapid fully loaded, it responds well to the paddle. It can be used solo although it is a lot of canoe for a beginner to handle. I also have a 20 foot canoe that we used as a family canoe before our boys were strong enough to manage the bow with either my wife or I. We would take weeklong trips with 4 of us and our gear loaded in it. I do not have fond memories of carries.
All of that said, 16 foot canoes are far more popular now. Many current paddlers have not experienced the benefits of the longer hulls or they focus more on solo paddling. 16 foot canoes are lighter, do not have as much volume or capacity but if you know how to pack, you can get a weeks worth of gear in one. Most of the canoes I currently buy are 16 footers in part because they tend to be a bit lighter and from a collectability perspective, they tend to have better re-sale value.
Benson suggests that you get it out on the water and try. I agree. As a beginner paddler the extra two feet are not a factor. And, also as a beginner (and a reason I prefer the bigger boats) the stern paddler is not up tight against the rails with their stroke. It's a better boat for learning how steer.

Don't forget that your children grow, your canoe won't. Would a sixteen foot boat be big enough for the three of you in 5 years time?

Sam

Back