1940s? Chestnut

Biggles

Stephen M
I am having my Chestnut (Pal) restored and have been told it is a mid 40s model by the restorer. (Sturgeon River Canoe Co. Tay Twp.) The question is that it has no serial number that we can find as of yet and I'm wondering why that would be. It is obviously a Chestnut by the construction methods employed.
Stephen

It is not unusual to find Chestnuts without a serial number. It was first in the 1950's that Chestnut Canoe Co started using a serial or a work order number on their canoes. The "Pal" model was introduced 1954, this model was earlier called Ajax and sometimes Moonlight both before and after 1954.

Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Co

Last edited:
Thank you. So the measurements on the construction techniques will determine the exact model and age?

It is not easy to determine the exact age of a Chestnut - often impossible. Measurements and constructions details help determining model.

Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Co

Last edited:
Thank you, I will do some measuring when I get it back. Clint Todd at Sturgeon River estimated the age in the mid to late 40s. He mentioned that the shape of the mid hull cedar strips indicated it was well before the company had financial issues.

Last edited:
One last question Dick. The tops of the gunwales are L shaped so that they cover maybe 3/16" of the top of the ribs. Was that standard throughout the production run?

The outside gunwales should be L-shaped to cover the top edge of the planking, not the top of the ribs.

Back