1932 Old Town made for Abercrombie and Fitch

tjscheppat64

Hello! Could I please get some help locating information on this 17 foot Old Town canoe? Serial Number: 110185.

And, every other rib has a threaded brass whole in it... curious about that. :)

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2996.JPG
    IMG_2996.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2995.JPG
    IMG_2995.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'm thinking the "threaded brass hole" is the head of the screws that hold the keel onto the hull... perhaps someone got a little too aggressive with the screwdriver?

The build record for this canoe is available at the link below from a previous request. My guess is that the keel was removed and not replaced during the last recanvassing. This is similar to what Paul suggested. The cup washers may have been left behind. Pictures would help.

Benson

Thank you! I just purchased it this week. I have always wanted a real wood canvas canoe every since my days at a YMCA camp just outside of Ely, MN.

Here is a picture of the threaded brass holes I was referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3005.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 36
Also, why do you think the build record is so informal compared to others? I wonder what 110186, if it exists, looks like. Or maybe they lost 110185 and hastily replaced it.

why do you think the build record is so informal compared to others?

The "threaded brass holes" are the cup washers left behind when the sponsons were removed. The "informal" build record is probably due to light colored ink date stamps which didn't show up on the black and white scan. The link below demonstrates another example of this issue. Let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

Benson

Back