1924 or 1925 Peterborough Canoe Company Catalog

James Carr

Curious about Wooden Canoes
By chance does anyone have a 1924 or 1925 Peterborough Canoe Company catalog? I know it is a long shot but I would be curious to see what prospector models are listed. Is there anything other than the 92X, 66X and 68X?

Page nine of the 1927 Peterborough catalog at the link below shows those three. The page below from the 1921 catalog has the 66X and the 68X but not the 92X. I don't know of any other Peterborough catalogs from that era which are available.

Benson

page-18.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Benson. Yes, unfortunately Peterborough catalogs seem hard to come by. I am trying to find reference to a Peterborough 66X67 but no luck so far.

the 1927 Peterborough catalog at the link below

I find it interesting that p. 4 of this catalogue says: "CANVAS COVERED construction . . . . They are not affected by the weather or changes in climate. They do not absorb moisture and consequently do not gain in weight."

Is this true? Or is this claim implicitly (and misleadingly?) limited to water penetration from the outside through pristine paint, filler and canvas? Surely a Peterborough was not immune from water absorption and weight gain due to bilge water accumulated from rain, over-splashing waves or capsize.

No, this is not true. As has been discussed many times on these forums, (most if not all) cedar-canvas canoes certainly can gain weight from water absorption. Few things that we put on canoes can make them truly, completely waterproof. For example, there are places where water can get to wood that is either unsealed or poorly sealed. A 1927 Peterborough would be no different in this respect from canoes made by other builders.

Back