1910 OT keel

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
Here are photos of my 1910 O/T, CR with double gunwales. It is interesting that the keel looks about the same as the one on yours although it is attached with screws from inside in a straight line, not staggered, but then this canoe was also previously restored so no guarantee it was original. dimensions are 1 3/4" wide 1/2" tall and the last 20" taper to 0 in both dimensions. Hope that helps, sorry it took so long, first time. Will need lots of help when I get started on mine.
Craig

Attachments

• DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC_0131.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC_0135.jpg
    DSC_0135.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC_0137.jpg
    DSC_0137.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 390
What a beautiful canoe! The double gunwales remind me of our closed gunwale Indian Girl... appearance-wise, at least. The mast seat and thwart are very cool. Thanks for the pictures... looking forward to more.

Kathy

Craig,
Thanks for the pics, they have been very timely and helpful. Your keel is consistent with, and confirms, that the keel that was on the 1909 double gunnel we have was original. We thought, and the consensus was, that the keel was probably replaced when it was fiberglassed.

A few days before your post we had just finished cutting a traditional OT keel, but didn't make time to install it. This weekend we'll copy and install the new keel. Timing is everything, there are no coincidences.
Thanks again,
Dave & Peggy

hope it is right

My canoe has a sailing rig but the original build record doesn't show it left the factory that way so I figure it was converted the same time as the other restoration work. They didn't start making my style of rudder and lee boards until 1932 so it was after that, probably quite a bit. I suppose they could have changed style of keel at that time but I cant see the reasoning for that and matching your 1909 seems like too much coincidence. Looking forward to seeing photos of yours when finished. I'm sure it will help on mine.
Craig

Attachments

• DSC_0140.jpg
    DSC_0140.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 339
Back