18' otca

The Old Town canoe with serial number 130365 is an 18 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, Otca model with open spruce gunwales, half ribs, a keel, a floor rack, and sponsons. It was built between June, 1940 and May, 1941. The original exterior paint color was fire red. It shipped on May 22nd, 1941 to Ambridge, Penna. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link behind the thumbnail image attached below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions,

Benson

Attachments

• 130365.gif
    130365.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 214
Thanks Benson.
I assume the canoes with sponsons were built on the same forms as those without and the dimensions once the sponsons were removed would be the same as one ordered without sponsons. Yes No. I ask because the depth is 11 1/2" at most and it calls for 13". I know they vary but that seems like alot and I dont think it has been cut down. Everything looks origional and is in too good of shape to have had bad rib tips.
Also, does anyone have a set of sponsons for this boat. They dont have to be useable, I just want the station blocks so I can reproduce the right shape if I decide to put them back on. Not sure why I would do that other than to try something new, and I dont have one already.

I assume the canoes with sponsons were built on the same forms as those without and the dimensions once the sponsons were removed would be the same as one ordered without sponsons.

Yes, the inside dimensions should be the same. I have two 18 foot long Otcas in the garage and they both measure roughly 11.5 inches from the planking to the top of the middle thwart. If you add about one inch for the keel and another inch for the inside gunwale then that comes very close to the 13 inches listed in the catalogs. The one from 1936 has sponsons and the one from 1958 does not as shown in the build records below. I can provide the outside dimensions of the sponsons if you can't locate an extra set. Good luck,

Benson

Attachments

• 115088.jpg
    115088.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 167442.jpg
    167442.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 165
A little off subject, but how did Old Town attach the floorrack when there were half ribs? Special floorrack or maybe installed upside down??

how did Old Town attach the floorrack when there were half ribs? Special floorrack or maybe installed upside down??

A canoe with half ribs would have the floor rack installed upside down with the cross members on the top instead of the bottom as you surmised. This would also be done occasionally if a floor rack was ordered separately. A floor rack and half ribs perform the same function as you probably know so it was unusual to have both in the same canoe.

Benson

Last edited:
Back