wood/canvas boat!

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I have started stripping this wood and canvas boat that is 14' long...At first I thought it was a homemade or small outfit...When stripping the stem I found some numbers but they are too faded to read...it starts with a 14- and then 5 humbers after...Any info on who makes a w/c boat and starts their numbers with the length?
Thanks

Sounds like Old Town numbering pattern - they did make boats, rowboats, sailboats and small outboards

Like Mike says, that is the typical Old Town serial number scheme. Others, used the same scheme, including Kennebec, Carleton, and Skowhegan, all of who produced small boats as well as canoes. Post some photos.

thanks

Will post some pictures as soon as I can....I have an Old Town OTCA that is next to be redone and the numbering system does not seen to be the same. Charging the DIGI camera now!.

More canvas covered boats

Penn Yan also made cedar/canvas dinghies - I'll probably be in on restoring one this summer.
Don in Vermont

Last edited:
Wood/Canvas Boat

If I did this right, here are some pictures of that unknown boat that I am in the process of stripping and restoring as best as possible...No references to original so am going by what looks authentic.. seats are solid Ash and deck is arrowhead desgin and is 18" long. Cant be all that old as the transom is 3/4 plywood with those three supports on the inside to beef it up...Havent got a clue as to who made it..any suggestions or help on an original picutre would really help out

Last edited:
OOps...forgot to mention that there are cover trim strips approximately 2" wide,3/8" thick and 18" long that trim cover the deck and the rear supports . the outwale is designed to cover the the rib ends then those trim strips get attached for effect!

Back