Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

1. bartcanoe

bartcanoe Curious about Wooden Canoes

I know I'm crazy because I just started my current project (restoration of Aquacraft Camper), and it will be months before I get to my next project.

Anyway, I want to build a wood stripper next, and I want it to be a design that makes a fast solo canoe. A canoe that can be used to race, workout, long day paddles, and some very light tripping, e.g. overnight trips.

Any ideas or where to conduct some research?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

Look at a Redbird. I can't recall who sells the plans. The one I did was fast, fast. But too tender for me.

3. OP
    OP
    bartcanoe

I found a Redbird from Bear Mountain. Is that the one you're talking about?

4. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

yep, pretty sure. it's been awhile. is it about 17' 6"? I think that was it.

5. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Seems like you need to narrow down the options a bit.

Do you want a modern or traditional design? Will you use it only as a solo or sometimes a tandom?
    What balance of speed vs stability do you want/need? What is your level of paddling capability?
    Will you fish from it or only paddle? What kind of water do you think you will paddle? ie, small stream/river, small/large lakes, flat or moving water?

There are many, many designs offered, start with a web search, and/or this site, which lists many places that sell plans.

BTW, (IIRC) the Redbird is a Ted Moores/Bear Mountian design, it's a tandom, it was way too tender for me also.

If at all possible, once you find a few designs you"think" you like, find one to test paddle. You might be surprised.

Also, don't assume you will build only one, once you have the forms, tools and materials, you will likely make more.

Dan

"a fast solo canoe. A canoe that can be used to race, workout, long day paddles, and some very light tripping"

6. OP
    OP
    bartcanoe

7. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Check out NW Canoe, they sell their own plans, and the Merlin and I see now John Winter's plans. In addition to the Merlin, there is also a 38 special, not sure where to find the plan, that is a larger Merlin (IIRC). Another narrow "go fasty" of the MCA tradition.

Also, the MCA sells plans, not sure that they have these days.
    http://www.canoe-kayak.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=709151&module_id=95917

You also might like to see their page on canoe racing (the MCA came from the long distance racing of the 1940's, and they have been promoting it and selling canoe plans as a result of it for many years.)
    http://www.canoe-kayak.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=709151&module_id=95907

Dan

http://www.northwestcanoe.com/canoes.html

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  8. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

There's also the option of finding a canoe you like, that fits your intended use, and lofting the lines off it, to build a reasonably close replica.

Now that opens a can of worms....

9. OP
    OP
    bartcanoe

Not going there that is definitely beyond my abilities.

10. OP
    OP
    bartcanoe

11. BFC fan

BFC fan Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

12. OP
    OP
    bartcanoe

I've actually looked at that design, and have sent some questions to Bear Mountain about the design. I'm concerned that my weight may cause some performance issues since they have the displacement listed at 244 lbs.

Thanks,

Dave

13. OP
    OP
    bartcanoe

Looks like the Bear Mountain Solo Tripper 17 is the winner. Now, back to restoring the Aquacraft, the next project is months away.

14. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

I hope you realize that, in the months between now and when you[re ready to start the next project, your essential criteria may change... it's just Murphy's Law...
    :rolleyes:

15. OP
    OP
    bartcanoe

I know, I know, but....I dare to dream :D