MITA (Maine Island trail) experiences?

Denise MsWdnBoat

Breaker of tradition
It's on my bucket list now. Never got there when my son was here :(

I most likely will go out with an outfitters group rather than my own craft, but I would love for anyone here to share experiences you had on MIT trips in Maine.

I'll be getting a membership for the MITA soon, Even if I don't make a trip.

"Baby steps" are always best of course; Day trips, short overnight jaunts, etc "Expedition" is no longer part of my vocabulary :) I do/did have quite a bit of survival, and wilderness experience but it's been years since I've been "out there"

thanks!

Denise

Sure.. Over 20 years we have made a number of trips and have been long time MITA members. We live in Maine and its nice to have access to other than the 46 public islands which are sometimes overused. We like the more pristine private islands we can use.

Its not surprising that wooden canoeists didn't respond. We do have sea canoes and they are not wood.. Brass and saltwater are not friends. Wooden canoes tend to be held together with brass tacks.

In 1994 I was able to take part in a race along the MIT from Lubec and finishing in Pemaquid. While it was a non stop race with mandatory portages it was amazing to meet locals who were at some of the check points at 0200 in the am and kept an eye out for all the teams. Big recollection was not being allowed to use GPS, how thick the fog was, and the lobster/fishing boats whose Captains knew the area like the back of their hands, much respect. While rewarding at the time I look forward to taking my family there and paddling legs of the MIT without the same sense of urgency.

What a small world. The canoe pictured in Denise's avatar is also the one in mine! I bought the canoe several years ago from Denise and she had painted it almond prior to selling it. It was my first wood/canvas canoe and is wonderful to paddle and trip in. I liked it so much it inspired the acquisition and restoration of others... I now have 4 more!

Pictured here if I remember correctly on Mud Pond in the St. Regis Canoe Area, Adirondacks.

Here is her canoe in greater detail, outfitted as a solo canoe:
7FBB690A-50C9-40EC-B41E-3CAA2A04C6D8_1_105_c.jpeg

And here, tandemized and re-painted as I now own it, about to launch on Hoel Pond, ADKs:
tempImage1F4S4e.png

Thank you, but Denise deserves all the credit! She built it herself. I'm lucky it found me and I enjoy it immensely- in the water or on the rack!

Back