its finer in primer

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
Brings back the old bike building days:cool:
S&G forum's kinda lonely; next up two part poly finish, rolling and tipping and fingers crossed.

Attachments

• P1060462.JPG
    P1060462.JPG
    423.3 KB · Views: 677
  • P1060465.JPG
    P1060465.JPG
    436.8 KB · Views: 659
  • P1060466.JPG
    P1060466.JPG
    425.8 KB · Views: 667
Life's too short to sail an ugly boat

Gil, good pointttttttt.
Sailing wont introduce anywhere near the same torture as your fishing machine, and this is my opportunity to practice finishing before some upcoming restorations. In fact, this hasnt taken much more time than other cheaper finishes would have, but your point is well taken. In days gone by my snowmobile and dirt bike were fairly embarassing cosmetically although mechanically bulletproof. Even my restored Nortons got used, like we used to say "ride em dont hide em":p

Last edited:
Hey Gil,

On the one hand, you are absolutely right, but on the other, after spending a couple hundred hours and several thousand dollars, a fine finish is in order, plywood or otherwise... (but I certainly wouldn't go nuts perfecting finish over going sailing....!) Remember these are sleek racing machines, not for conducting guerilla warfare on defenseless trout...

And Andre, if you decide you are not happy with the finish, you can always cover it in stickers, NASCAR style...

Cheers,
Dan

who's nuts?

Dan,
everything you say is suspect since you sail a 34" wide boat with too much cloth on TWO masts:p Rolled on the first coat, no need to tip since it was way too warm out, but its a great base coat. Very nice to work with. Cant wait to sail, but my working time is limited to after the kids are asleep and before I crash, usually a 2-3 hour window; not going for perfection just a nice overall boat. Gonna head back to Clayton for some pointers some time in July so I can get some time in before the boat show.

S&G alive and well

Succedded in breathing life into this forum at least...
Honestly I stay off the small streams, they tend to be scary and guarded vigorously.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    194.1 KB · Views: 680
mast slop

Dan, what did you use to tighten up the fit of the masts in the tubes? Oh and do you have a shot of the arrangement you used to hold your dagger down?
thanks
I'm getting there quickly, spars shaped and got first coat of ooblek. One more, sand and paint. Might reinforce with screws, some of the joints were'nt too tight. 2 more coats of paint on the hull and I'm on the water.:cool:

Attachments

• P1060469.JPG
    P1060469.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 661
  • P1060473.JPG
    P1060473.JPG
    529.1 KB · Views: 634
racks

Gil,
the tongue steel I used was 2"x2", so I used a 3" base plate to weld them to ( and 3" plate under to bolt to). I like them adjustable so didnt weld them direct. I left the cross bars 48", but you could go any length, and if shorter steel is used just bolt a 2x4 or similar to widen them. Steel is great since you can add to it even if you've cut it twice and its still too short. That thing is the greatest, I dont put canoes on the roof anymore and you can do warp speed down the road with no worries about your boat. If you were closer I'd whip up a set for you in no time.

what did you use to tighten up the fit of the masts in the tubes? Oh and do you have a shot of the arrangement you used to hold your dagger down?

I pretty much followed John's lead on these. Main mast I didn't do anything with. For the mizzen, I got some rubber gasket material from Home Despot, and wrapped it with self-bonding rigging tape (cool stuff!). Used the same tape on the crosshead too.

For the daggerboard, I put in a couple of 3/8" grooves across the top. Bolted 6 eyes to the cockpit sole to hold down a couple bungee loops. I've been tucking my spare paddle under the loops too...

I also discovered the need to add a stop to the rudder head - when the tiller goes over hard - it jams. And when it jams, you don't go...

Plywood Apparatus

Gil,

I am glad you have come out of the closet with your 'plywood apparatus.' As a WCHA member and having seen that thing I have felt a great responsibility and sense of duty to turn you in. I am so relieved I didn't have to.

-Chuck

Back