Inside stems or not?

mferraguti

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Do you recommend inside stems?

Also, if used, is it the glue that holds the inside stems to the planking once staples are removed?

Thank you!

Mike F.

Mike,

You'll get different answers but,

I use both inside and outside stems.

I do it on the inside because I "think" it makes for an easier (and maybe neater) glassing job, because the inside end doesn't come to a "point".

On the outside I "think" it makes for a cleaner, nicer treatment for the ends of the strips.

With this said, there have been many canoes built without stems at all, and they work fine.

As for the glue, the strips are glued to the inside stem, not the other way a round. Once the glassing is complete, all the wood is contained by the epoxy/glass shell.

Dan

Thanks Dan. So when planking near inside stems, is glue simply added on the ends of planks where they touch inside stems?

Mike

Seems like, in my limited knowledge, that once staples are pulled, before sanding and glassing, that the planks would "release" from the inside stems.

Mike

Mike,

Yes, just a bit of glue on the inside surface of each strip, between the strip and inner stem.

And yes, the glue will hold the strip to the stem after the staples are removed. (In fact I don't use staples and the only thing holding the strips on is the glue.) When you get to the difficult strips, near/around the chine, sometimes they need a bit more persuasion, folks have use nails/screws anything, I use skinny boards between the strip and the ceiling, until the gule dries.

Dan

Back