Forum Color Experiments

Roger Kugler

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
No....you're not seeing things.
No.... you don't need an eye exam.
No.... hackers aren't having fun.

I'm attempting to improve the visual appeal of the forum and fix some of the problems. Of course, the documentation is written by a twenty-something and to a fat old fart like me....lets just say things are 'lost in translation'.

Bear with me, hopefully I'll figure this out soon.
Thanks,
Roger

I like this change. I usually hate changes, but this is much better. Not that it was bad before, but I can see this better.

I think we need more of a "Guide Special Green" in the header.... ;-)

That's not guides special green?...

Actually the colors are looking great. What I was wondering is if the whole thing got narrrower? Before the most recent color changes the page looked wider and I was able to see the time stamp that's listed with the post. Now I can't.

Rolf

Color schemes are pretty subjective.
More contrast is better so the white fonts against brown and the red against yellow are good.
That green is kind of gross and the scheme of baby blues with browns is simply weird, almost jarring.
I don't understand why the the name bar would be so prominent on the page? My eye is drawn there because it's so bright, but there is nothing there....except the posters name. Tone that down a million shades IMHO, or pull up the color in the background to create a color contrast from the same pallet.

I had no issue with the way the color scheme was except for the lack of contrast between dark brown bars with black fonts.
The message preview screen is still a solid example of that. Try typing a reply in advanced and do a preview to see what I mean.

Roger,

Thank you,

now that it's mentioned, it does seem to be a bit easier to see/read.

If it was me, I'd get rid of the yellow background.

And thinking about it, just copy the old MS default colors. After years of sitting in front of a computer, and many attemps at changing screen colors, the old default is usually the best.

And to counter MGC, always use a dark font on a light background, never a light font on dark background, and as one who can't see red, NEVER red. :)

And maybe more contrast on the large icons, to easier tell which have been read and which haven't. (or better yet, get rid of them entirely.)

Dan

Thanks for commits

Thanks for all your commits. Most of the colors I picked randomly to figure out where the "box_bg_left" tag is. Sorry to use you all as guinea pigs! (Actually, this IS kinda fun...)

More changes to come, nothing is set in stone, yet.

Thanks,
Roger

Roger,

Thank you,

And thinking about it, just copy the old MS default colors.
And to counter MGC, always use a dark font on a light background, never a light font on dark background, and as one who can't see red, NEVER red. :)

Dan

I totally agree! It is a basic rule of all things marketing/web to never use red for a font, ever......I agree wholeheartedly.
I went along with that because it does have better contrast (what was missing) and because I did not want to bash the entire change.
I also tend to stick to the old MS colors as a starting point but for the website I maintain I have gone to blues and greens to give a less dated feel.
For all text entry screens, I stick to black and white, black font on a white background..it's crisp and easy to read.
As far as the yellow on this page is concerned, I actually like it. I actually liked the colors as they were.
But, I just realized that maybe this is a discussion about the Forum Landing page.....I do like the changes there better than in this dialogue page.
Anyway, did anyone ever wonder why all canoes are not painted the same color?

Here is a snip of the color scheme that I use...very well received worldwide...
I also added a snip of the contrast problem that I was referring to on the preview page.
Finally, I added a snip of a Yahoo color scheme that (I think) has good colors and contrast. The text editor (mail) is all in black and whiteView attachment 15158View attachment 15156View attachment 15157View attachment 15158

Attachments

• Web colors.JPG
    Web colors.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 447
  • Edit sample.JPG
    Edit sample.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 475
  • Yahoo theme.JPG
    Yahoo theme.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Back