Fixing old fiberglass canoe, Raka or Mas epoxies?

cmbb

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Gentlemen; I will be repairing an old fiberglass canoe, don't know the make. Also will be repairing an old strip canoe we made in the 70's with polyester resin.

I am considering the RAKA line of epoxy resin. Would that be a good choice? The canoes are used for fishing etc. Don't care about looks. Just need a good solid canoe.

I have never used epoxy resin, only polyester and that was years ago.

Nice informative site you guys have here!

Thank You

Hi cmbb,
Epoxy resin is, I think, a little easier to use than poly and it doesn't have as strong an odor. A couple cavets: you can epoxy over polyester or vinylester resins (Kevlar) but you should not use poly or vinyl esters over epoxy resin. Gelcoat does not like to adhere to epoxy resin. I mix my epoxy resin (System 3) by weight using a small postal scale- x ounces of resin + 1/2 x ounces of hardener. Mix THOROUGHLY. I count to 60 while stirring with either an acid brush or stir stick making sure to get the sides. I use paper bowls used for picnics. Cheap, desposable and a wide surface area so the mix does cook off too quickly. I think one of the most important things to do is to be consistent. Develop a procedure and follow it always. If you add resin first, ALWAYS add resin first. Consistant procedures results in consistant results- a good thing when playing with resins. Which brand is best? I don't know. I do know I have always had good results with System Three. I've used them for twenty years....remember, consistency.
Thanks,
Roger

I've built 7 canoes and kayaks. The first with West System and the last 6 with Raka. On one I experimented with US Composites too. All of the above worked fine.

Kurt

Kurt; Cool! I just today received my stuff from RAKA, have yet to open it.

Back