Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Epifane's Yacht Enamel colors...

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Howie, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Howie

Howie Wooden Canoe Maniac

I just put the 1st paint coat on an old Morris with for a fella who selected Epifane's Yacht Enamel #30 'Teal Green'. A truly awful color!
    20210414_143100.jpg 20210414_144456.jpg
    This has to go. I'm thinking I ought to stick with one of Epifane's enamels... Can some of you reply with pics showing other enamel colors you've chosen? Something that would be appropriate for a 115 year old canoe!

2. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Colour will look great with a flattening agent added. Knock down the gloss and it will look much better , or add some black

3. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

The #30 Teal Green actually looks pretty good on the Epiphanes color chart, at least as reproduced on my laptop's monitor -- a constant problem when working from color chart chips. Andre's suggestions well may produce something acceptable. But then maybe the canoe owner likes having his canoe looks like it is a plastic boat -- ain't no accounting for taste!

I recently ran into that problem staining a fence -- the first color turned out to be far to dark when applied -- it took four more attempts using actual samples rather than relying on the color chart to get what we wanted.

4. Andre Cloutier

Andre is sure his suggestion will produce something acceptable.
    and he hates people who refer to themselves in the third person.

interlux flattening agent works well with epifanes if used correctly, used it many times. antique boats look crappy all glossed up.
    good luck

Rob Stevens likes this.
  5. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson Lifetime member

Epifanes #62 5675A0DE-15CB-4094-AAB3-1126EC8480F6.jpeg

6. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

I'm wondering what is wrong with the color? To me it's sort of like the Chestnut color.
    Would I like to see it a bit darker, sure, but it's a lot better then say yellow or red.

7. OP
    OP
    Howie

Howie Wooden Canoe Maniac

Aw gee Dan... I have to disagree with your view of the color. It hurts my eyes to see it. Like Pepto Bismal except green! Yes, I could try and make it darker by adding, say, black a la Andre, but I'd rather buy it than screw around. And BTW, I like yellow!

Craig: Thanks for the pic of #62. I like it. It was one I was considering.

Dan Lindberg likes this.
  8. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

Our Model 1889, built and painted by Jerry Stelmok:
    IMG_2682 sm.JPG

Our 50 Pound model OT painted by me:
    100_6451 sm.JPG

As I said above, ain't no accounting for taste! :):D

9. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

10. Gil Cramer

Gil Cramer The wooden canoe Shop, Inc.

As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Dan Lindberg likes this.
  11. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

I painted my 1972 Guide yellow (ACE Hardware floor enamel) - not necessarily because I favor yellow canoes, but because it set off the rosy shades of the wood better than anything else I could find.

guide2z.jpg

12. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Our daughter's choice, beside mine, Cobalt Blue.

Attached Files:

13. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Ya, I figured my comment would bring out some nice pics.

It's a good thing everybody thinks differently, it would be a boring world if everything was the same.

14. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

It's important to be one with nature. :D
    Actually, this was supposed to be one of those old time canoe shots with the red/black buffalo plaid wool jacket and a hat, but despite being mid October, it happened to be about 85 degrees that day and I was frying.

guide7.jpg

Andy Hutyera and Dan Lindberg like this.
  15. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

And if you have more than one canoe, there is no rule that says you can't have one with subdued coloring along with your red and yellow canoes.

100_3454 cr.jpg

16. jva74

jva74 Curious about Wooden Canoes

Hey, teal green is awesome.

Attached Files:

17. Andre Cloutier

im just over here struggling to imagine a yellow floor.

MGC likes this.
  18. Blott

Blott LOVES Wooden Canoes

[​IMG]

Nice canoe and paint combo Greg but I would have a word with the person who last parked your car :)

I like Epifanes but it is high gloss and shows every plank mark so will try a flattening agent when I next repaint my Pal.

19. Andre Cloutier

Blott, give these a try. many successful paint jobs with both, most with epifanes
    upload_2021-9-9_6-54-34.jpeg

upload_2021-9-9_6-54-54.jpeg

20. owlsroost

owlsroost Fishing Guide

My Daughter graduated from Saint Lawrence University and, unless I'm seeing that bottom paint color wrong, that combination would play quite well there.
    [​IMG]