Canoe sailing "mast partner" seat

Randy Johnson

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am looking for a plan/drawing of a canoe seat with the mast support hole incorporated within the seat frame. I do not know if Old Town still makes them as an accessory item, but I would like to have the dimensions so that I can make more than one for canoes that I want to sail. I do have a canoe "mast step" from Old Town which I can use for a pattern.
Thanks for the help!

Have one on the wall

I have one on the wall in the shop from a Old Town 16' OCTA. I'll get the dimensions from it in the morning and post them tomorrow.

Old Town Seat Dimensions

All stock is 7/8" thick. Rear Cross member is 1 3/4" wide. Side supports are 1 13/16" wide. Opening for seat is 10 7/8" x 6 5/8". Front cross member at gunnel is 2 1/4" wide. Front cross member at center is 4 3/4" wide. Front of front cross member has large continuous blend raduis to within 3" of the outside ends. Mast hole in the wood is 2 1/8" diameter. Mast hole in brass sleeve is 2" diameter. Distance from rear edge of front crossmember to edge of mast hole in wood is 1 1/4".

Yesterday was a mess so I'm slow posting. I can take a digital picture and e-mail it if you wish.

Ron

Mast partner seat plans

Thank you to Ron Carter and to Martin Ferwerda for all your help in getting the dimensions and plan ideas. I would like to see a digital picture if possible Ron, and your plan dimensions have got me motivated...I am starting to cut some wood tonight! Martin, your web site is a work of art as well as the canoes you make. I have a few Thompson canoes, and have restored a few for other people so I am sure I will be asking about your Thompson canoe form and your expert advise!
Now on to another question: I have some canoes with the mast location nearer to the bow (or stern while canoeing, either in the stern seat or the stern thwart or stern deck) and some closer to the center of the canoe (as with the bow seat mast partner, or bow thwart mast partner). I know that having the mast closer to the end of the boat improves the ability of the boat to "come to windward" more easily, but if given the choice, which location is better overall? In other words, I want the mast step in the seat for better stability and strength to the inwales(four bolts spread out over the seat width not just two in a thwart) but should the mast partner seat be the bow or the stern seat?

Most canoes sail pretty poorly with one sail stepped way up in the end of the boat. Most of those way-forward or way-aft placements are meant to be used for twin-masted rigs. The same boats often had another mast step closer to the boat's center, which was there to be used when only one mast/sail was present. Put your leeboard bracket as close as possible to the center of the boat and step the mast so that it locates the center of the sail directly over the leeboards. This usually means that the boat is run bow-first and the mast is stepped either through one of the bow seat cross-bars (front or back, whichever works best) or through a thwart right behind the bow seat. This is probably worth drawing out on paper before you start cutting any wood. Also, despite having fewer bolts, a mast thwart is often stronger than a mast seat, especially if the seat is lowered on longish bolts with spacer dowels. It's more rigid, has a wider bearing surface to reduce twist and it's location right under the gunwale gives it maximum leverage.

Back