A Shop for Denis

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
After over a year of jumping through hoops to satisfy the township, waiting-out weather-related delays and giving the construction boss's broken arm time to heal, work has begun on Denis Kallery's shop.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Attachments

• the shop.jpg
    the shop.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 710
Your Shop

GREAT !!! You guys are going to love having a nice place to work on and store your canoe treasures. What are the dimensions.? I'm still doing the siding and internal finish to mine and I started sawing lumber for it and building it myself in 2006 . Good that you have a contractor doing it as you'll be in it much faster than doing all the work yourself.

Ed

Ed,
Thanks! The barn is 28x 40 two story. Upper story for canoes and lumber. First floor will be shop. The contractor is just putting up the frame, second floor, and roof. Many [and I do mean many] years ago I fell 25 feet and as I age I become more and more chicken about height. I will do all the siding, window installation, insulation, wiring, etc, etc. The fella I get my cedar from is making me a good deal on his low quality stuff that I will side it with [vertically]. He will also supply the pine for the floor. I forgot to mention the first floor is 9 feet the second is 8.
I've been waiting for about forty years for this shop! It is very exciting and I wouldn't be doing it without Kathryns help! So I owe her a great big thank- you!
This is one happy camper!!!! :D

Denis' New Shop

Congratulations on the new shop, Denis. Better have dinner delivered because you will not want to stop work in the evening.

I built my shop without canoes in mind and there are a lot of things I would do differently but what I would certainly do is install a built-in vacuum with floor sweeps. I am thinking of retro-fitting a system now. It is very frustrating to be vacuuming the dust from the floor and piles of lumber and have the Shop Vac blasting air in the other direction stirring up the airborne dust that is fairly settled. I don't have a paint booth so I paint in the machine area.

The other partial solution is to open doors in both ends, turn on a very large fan, wear a dust mask, blow everything down with compressed air and let the neighbors enjoy the airborne dust. It is even better if the wind is blowing.

Enjoy working on canoes on a cold winter day.

R.C.

R.C.
Thanks! :D
For the floor on the ground floor I had sand brought in. After the construction crew is done I will have crushed rock put down and leveled. Then 6 mill visquene [sp]. I originally planned to put down treated sleepers but have since decided to go with recycled pallets. This I think will be stronger and allow me to run electrical, etc. under the pine floor, which will be screwed down for future access. I can also insulate beneath the pine with pour in beads. In the upper level there will be a sliding door - like a barn door with a track. Then I'll put a beam [with a pulley system on it] sticking out from the peak to help get canoes on to the second floor. Recycled windows all around for lots of light. Still not sure how I'll heat it. May try to find a used outside wood burner.Until then I have a cool old woodstove.
Denis

Dan,
I've been doing furniture etc. for a loooooong time so I have most of the machinery I need except a surfacing sander for thickness. I think that it would produce much better results for rib and planking thickness than the planer alone.
Until I get my permit this is only a storage building. Afterwards I'll fit it out.
Second floor is on and they are framing the roof as I write.
Denis :)

Want's the permit for? Are you planning to make this a real business?

As for the sander, virsus a planner, I don't know. The last batch of ribs I did, I just cut them on the table saw and hit them with a palm sander, never even ran them through the planer. Now planking is another story....

But, keep us posted with pics of the new building/shop.

Dan

They are big into zoning here and taxes that go along with the zoning. So it is storage not a shop. If folks bring a boat to me I might be persuaded to fix it. Soc. Sec. doesn't really give one much income. :) Denis

Denis' New Shop

I have an old 12" Power Matic planer left over from another life and it loves to eat thin boards. I recently got a light Delta 12" planer. With a high speed head, rubber drive rollers and the short distance between rollers there is no vibration. It can thickness to 1/8" and has never chipped out on red or white cedar or highly figured walnut and mahogany. With sharp blades usually sanding is not necessary.

I have never seen a piece of woodworking machinery I did not want, useful or not.

R.C.

Last edited:
RC.
AH! The bane of the woodworker. Anything from hand tools to machines.
That's what makes "Fine Woodworking" such a "bad" magazine to read. Leaves one drooling. :D
Denis

more pictures...

Denis went up the scary ladder and took some pictures.

Attachments

• late may 08 013.jpg
    late may 08 013.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 636
  • barn, 2d floor.jpg
    barn, 2d floor.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 626
  • barn, side.jpg
    barn, side.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 648
Dan,
I Have three pieces made by Walker Turner. They were bought out by Delta. There is a 16" band saw, 6 inch joiner and a really cool jig saw. All are 1930's vintage and all work fine.
Denis

Denis' New Shop

Dan,

The OWWM website is enough to make one drool. You have me beat in the weight category. I bought an ancient 12" jointer that weighed just under 2000 lbs and had it shipped from St. Louis. It arrived perfectly tuned and I did not have to do anything to it for years. When I sold it the babbet was a little grumbly. At the same time I passed up a 32" coffin jointer because I did not think I would get many orders for coffins.

The photo is a shop built machine that can cut a 3" dado 7/8" deep, 22" long. The table rides on machined ways that are close to 100 years old. It is a little too large for canoe building or I would offer it to Denis but I understand Noah used it for building the ark.

R.C.

Attachments

• Copy of P10101001.JPG
    Copy of P10101001.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:
Denis,

That W/T 16" BS is a great machine, wish I had one. And I suspect the jointer is good too. If I had the W/T 16", I maybe wouldn't have got the latest piece.

I got a 16" Yates American BS that is a nice saw, about 350 lbs, but it doesn't have the height capacity of the W/T. And I have a older Delta 14" that is apart for cleanup that I will use for metal.

R.C.

That 12 jointer was likely a nice machine too, any idea what brand? I was bidding on a Cresent 12" last week but without much knolledge of it, didn't bid very high, it went for about $330.

My latest piece, the 2200 lbs, is a Moak 36" BS, nobody else would buy it and the owner was going to scrap it if I didn't get it, so I offered scrap price and he took it, $400 for what's supposed to be a working 36" BS. he never hooked it up and I have to build a converter before I can see/hear just what I got. It need some brackets repaired but both wheels look good and spin very smooth and easy.

Dan

Thanks Scott,

Yes, that is a interesting link/story. I'll mark it and study it later.

His is newer then mine, the small motor and the flat casting under the table are the signs, I don't know but think sometime in the 60's they made that casting change. Mine has a recess or valley below the table, and the 3 hp motor pretty much takes up all the space in the center cavity.

I probably won't get to restoring my for a couple years but eventually I will.

Dan

Update

Progress on the shop is a slow-but-sure thing.

I'll attach pictures-- first, of the cool pulley Denis found at a rural sale... it wasn't as pretty when he found it, but now the maple has been cleaned and oiled and the cast iron painted... the pulley will help hoist canoes into the upstairs storage area of the barn. (Note nosy dog, "is this a toy for meeee?")

Denis has made racks for canoes on the second story, but I won't show that off until there are some stairs in place of the ladder.

Over the weekend, Denis used a noise-making-and-vibrating-machine to compact the sand and gravel interior of the barn, preparing it for a floor.

Phoebes built a nest in the rafters, but it seems they've decided to vacate :(. We humans are always messing up stuff for the wildlife!

Kathy

Attachments

• DSCN2354.JPG
    DSCN2354.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 592
  • DSCN2359.JPG
    DSCN2359.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 597
  • DSCN2360.JPG
    DSCN2360.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 587
Oooo! A big shiny cave!

It looks like a great place to retreat to when the snow starts to really fly.
I'm jealous!

Back