16' J.R. Robertson found at a local auction recently...

Part of the appeal of Robertsons and Morrises is the ambiguity of their numbering systems, and the various theories to try to date them.

Nothing ambiguous about Morris serial numbers, they are simply sequential. We just don't have anything to cross reference them to, except for the handful that Old Town finished for Morris after his factory burned down.

Dan

I agree with Ken on all accounts of the serial number system, the dating of this canoe, and the use of closed gunwales by Robertson. This is very consistent with each example of this model I have seen.

A few examples had the first number prefixed by a letter as seen in the attached photo. I will let someone else make the theory leap from “A” to 1935……………………….

Attachments

• DSC_0560.JPG
    DSC_0560.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 431
Hi
Nice canoe. Interesting about the middle serial #s. I have restored some of the Robertsons and others from the area. One had the 1st set of #s and the length written under the canvas on the planks. I assumed in the factory they would likely leave the year off so deduced the middle #s were the year built. I have noticed they are all in the 30s though, so Ken's theory may be right.
Be sure to check further down the sides of the paint to locate a name.
Kevin Martin

Hi
Nice canoe. Interesting about the middle serial #s. I have restored some of the Robertsons and others from the area. One had the 1st set of #s and the length written under the canvas on the planks. I assumed in the factory they would likely leave the year off so deduced the middle #s were the year built. I have noticed they are all in the 30s though, so Ken's theory may be right.
Be sure to check further down the sides of the paint to locate a name.
Kevin Martin

Yes, thanks for the suggestion, I will search for a name. Thanks to all for the great suggestions and serial number theories.

Peter Nunes

Rushton,

If you're still hanging around here on the forums... let us know what happened with your restoration! I'm embarking on a similar boat (believed to be a Kingsbury) and would love to see how yours turned out.

Thats a great looking canoe!
Robertsons are coming out of the woodwork I guess.
Mine isn't anywhere near that condition....love the original paint scheme too. the ser. number isn't stamped with JRR CO. so must be before they incorporated?

Last edited:
Rushton,

If you're still hanging around here on the forums... let us know what happened with your restoration! I'm embarking on a similar boat (believed to be a Kingsbury) and would love to see how yours turned out.

Hello! I am still here, but due to human nature the Robertson is in safe, dry storage, and I haven't done a thing with it beyond a bit of research, which is at least half the fun. Good intentions, etc. I've been puttering with a 10'3" rowing/sailing lapstrake boat, built around 1980. It has a spritsail and two rowing stations. The fellow that was doing a fastidious job repairing it died suddenly a couple of months ago, so that's stalled too. Thanks very much for your interest.

Back