Old Town OTCA

johnle

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Let it begin, embarking upon the journey to restore an Old Town OTCA 17' with my son and daughter. Looks like serial number is: 103607 (numbers are hard to read. The 0360 are definite. The leading 1 and ending 7 are hard to make out, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 11.03.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 11.03.47 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 253
Thanks for all the support guys! I'm gonna need it.

Benson, thank you so much for providing that build record. I think it is just amazing to see that information. Looks like she was built in 1929-30. It certainly describes her well. Once again, appreciate your time.

I’ve been in and out of lumber mills to look for appropriate sizes and grain etc. from the amount of work this thing needs it’s looking more like a rebuild than a restore. I spoke to Jerry Stelmok up in Atkinson, maine regarding all the lumber and supplies needed to rebuild. Planking, gunwales, decks, canvas, filler etc. Looks like I may be making a trip up north with a trailer…..might as well work in a canoe trip in there somehow.

From the one photo above your canoe looks to be in pretty nice shape overall, with some of the relatively minor troubles that many of us face. This sure doesn't look like a massive rebuild. Unless there's something unseen in that photo, the gunwales look good except for the tips where new wood can be scarfed in. The one visible deck and coaming look good. Thwarts too. What can be seen of the seats and planking generally looks good too. Search through these forums and you'll find canoes far worse than yours that have been brought back, and ones like yours that can be made great again while keeping much of what's there now. Repairs, refinishing and re-canvassing can be challenging if you're new to this but they're very doable. Read, discuss, and have fun. It would be great to see your progress documented here.

Looks like I may be making a trip up north with a trailer…..might as well work in a canoe trip in there somehow.
There are lot's of great paddling options not far from Atkinson. You could probably get Jerry to allow you to leave your trailer near his shop while you go for a paddle.
A nice quick loop not all that far off would be from NE Carry into the Penobscot, down to Chesuncook and out on the South end of the lake. Or, same put in and head up into Lobster. Or....if you are really ambitious, put in in Greenville and take the run up the lake. And so many more!
Don't forget that Rollins shop is just up the road from Jerry's and also worth stopping into. It looks like he's making a very tiny canoe right now.

Sounds like straight grain eastern white cedar is hard to come by. Anybody out there have any tips of obtaining it from online sources?

John,
From the build record Benson sent you it looks like the canoe was originally shipped to New Rochelle, NY which is in Rockland County about 45 minutes south of where we live. Is that where you were from originally?
Good luck with the restoration.
Jim

Jim,

We are originally from Toronto, Ontario, but we purchased this canoe in New York! Thanks Jim

Back