Social Media Images

DSC_5848.jpeg

THREE POINTS OF CONTACT: Andy Gulland just met that entry/exit rule on a UK WCHA summer outing. Both he and the canoe ended up in the correct direction………..surprisingly! Photo Nick Dennis #woodencanoeheritageassociation #peterboroughcanoe #woodencanoes #canadiancanoemuseum

BB3E862D-B072-4943-B1F8-9D3E24467BD0.jpeg
AUTUMN: “And all at once, summer collapsed into fall.” – Oscar Wilde. A great paddling season. Grab a canoe, paddle, sweater and enjoy #woodencanoeheritageassociation #chestnutcanoe #woodcanvascanoe #canadiancanoeculture #canadiancanoemuseum

7A2BCAC9-0D1C-4779-A52F-1313AB8FBC9C.jpeg
THE BEAUTY OF WOOD: A slightly different view of a Chestnut Canoe demonstrating both the craftsmanship of the builder and the beauty of the cedar #woodencanoeheritageassociation #chestnutcanoe #woodcanvascanoe #canadiancanoeculture #canadiancanoemuseum

WHY WOULDN’T YOU? : An early morning on Lower St Regis Lake gives the opportunity for an ethereal canoeing moment #woodencanoeheritageassociation#paulsmithscollege#woodencanoes#saranaclake
0656A497-CA2E-4FA2-BFDF-7579966DDC3A.jpeg

THE PORTAGE: noun:-the carrying of a boat or its cargo between two navigable waters.
"the return journey was made much simpler by portage"
verb :- carry (a boat or its cargo) between navigable waters.
"we portaged everything here"

You forgot one current definition.

PORTAGE - obsolete Fr. word outside of Canada, meaning: the painful consequence of poor route planning.

Wheels Pond Brook.jpg

Since Nick opened up the topic of the portage I thought everyone might be interested in the collection of videos surrounding the "Final Portage", describing the move of the Canadian Canoe Museum's collection of canoes from its old site to the brand new museum opening this coming Spring.
These can be seen in the link following https://canoemuseum.ca/new-museum/ways-to-support/move-the-collection/the-final-portage/
Sorry I'm technically challenged and can't post the videos directly so no picture here.

Gary, those videos are great! What a clever way to bring attention to the new museum location and also thank their sponsors.

I would like to publicly express my appreciation to Chris Pearson for the Facebook message on November 19th in the Fans of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association group page about his centerboard sailing canoe. This has engaged nearly 4600 people, generated 150 comments, been shared 197 times, and reached about 157K as shown below. I'm not aware of any other Facebook message about wooden canoes that has ever gotten a bigger response. It generated a few hundred requests to join our Facebook Fans group and will hopefully result in some new memberships for the WCHA. Thanks,

Benson

Performance.jpg

Posting.jpg

Last edited:
For a while I also regretted selling that but after seeing Chris's restoration, I'm over it. I'm glad that I was able to enjoy it when I was young enough to schlep it around. It is one heavy bugger and especially if it's swamped with the sail in the water. Best $60.00 I ever spent.

IMG_0391.jpeg
WRAP UP FOR A FESTIVE PADDLE: Proper headwear is always essential when padding over the Festive Season. #canoemanart #woodencanoeheritageassociation #woodencanoes #canadiancanoemuseum

For a while I also regretted selling that Mike and Chris i also regretted selling it, but after Chris' work and zero profit i was very happy to pass it on to a great friend, despite him being a Michigander... Rochesterer just doesnt sound right.

IMG_1700.jpeg
THE FASTEST: It’s a known fact that red canoes are the fastest canoes especially during the Festive Season. Happy Holidays everyone. #woodencanoeheritageassociation #woodcanvascanoe #woodencanoes #canadiancanoeculture #canadiancanoemuseum Photo by Ron Sauter.

DSCF0837.jpeg
HAPPY NEW YEAR: it’s time to spruce the canoe up and start planning your adventures for 2024. #woodencanoeheritageassociation #woodcanvascanoe #woodencanoes #canadiancanoemuseum

Back