Wide rib Chestnut Ogilvy

Paul Fopeano

INNKEEPER
Here is a question for all you Chestnut historians. There is a 16' Chestnut Ogilvy for sale on E Bay as I write. The boat is in Kennebunkport, ME. I hope to get a look at soon it if it dosen't sell now. Did Chestnut offer a wide rib option with their Ogilvy (or other ) models? If so, was it a white water thing or perhaps an attempt sell a heavy duty canoe?

The boat needs some major work. But, if the seller can come down in price a bit, it could be reasonable candidate for a rebuild in my shop! But not this year.....

Paul

Onlyone Maine Made Wooden Canoe Works

Attachments

• s-l64.jpg
    s-l64.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 451
Mike Elliott answered my question on his Canoeguy's Blog. His is a great source of information for me and many others!

This is what he says:

The 16’ model has a 36” beam and 13½” depth at the centre. The ribs are 3” wide, 3/8” thick and have only ½” space between them. This creates what amounts to a double-planked hull. The rugged nature of the Ogilvy comes with a price in terms of weight. The 16’ has an average weight of 84 pounds and a carrying capacity of 850 pounds. It has a flat-bottomed hull, straight sides, full entry lines and modest rocker in the ends. This makes for a canoe that is slow and steady – exactly what is needed when moving through shallow, rapid rivers.

Always a good read. Thanks!

Henry

The Norumbega Chapter restored a 16 foot Ogilvy for an Assembly awhile back. Chestnut referred to the 16 foot version as "Henry". The model did have wide ribs and legend has it that it was designed for the shallow salmon fishing rivers of New Brunswick. The Ogilvy model also used heavier No. 6 canvas. We did use No. 6 canvas on the project and I am guessing 84 pounds was about right!

Back