Warp in Blank - How Do I Handle?

RoadRunner

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Been working on a paddle, early stages with the blank complete. I was marking out the center line (horizontal) and noticed some warpage I hadn't seen before. (See attached pics) It's not terrible, but I'm concerned that this will be a problem if I don't address it now. Any advice on how I should deal with this? Thank you.

20151224_134700.jpg

20151224_134705.jpg

I have the same issue with a cherry blank; only laterally instead of vertically. I hoped to steam it. I look forward to seeing the answers!

It's hard to tell from the images, but you may be able to re-draw the "center" line, such that it's straight, rather than follows the surface of the warped board.

Another option, which I've heard of but never tried, is to steam the blank, force the warp a bit beyond straight, clamp it like that until it dries, and hope it comes out straighter. But I've never tried this, so your mileage may vary.

Let us know how it turns out! We like pictures of paddles, too!

OK, so that's what I was thinking I might do....steam the paddle a bit and have a solid, flat surface to clamp it to. while it cools.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

I second the idea of re-drawing your centerline and shaping to be straight. Steam-bending might work in the short-term, but in use your paddle is going to be alternately soaking up moisture and baking in the sun. If steam straightens it, using it will likely return the warp pretty quickly. But I also agree with Rob - if you can't carve it straight, no worries; it's a small bend. Like Rob, I have ones I use with more bend than that. We have an old Old Town that is really bent - makes me think that such paddles may have driven the development of purpose-made bent-shaft paddles.

Back