Unfinished planking ok during storage??

Sturt

WCHA 7403
Last year I picked up a 1939 OT HW that needs some rib repair/replace work and small amount of planking replacement. I removed the rotting old canvas about 6 months ago and have stored it in the garage ever since. Now it looks like it could be quite a while before I actually get to the next stage (sound familiar?), especially since I just purchased a 1940 Yankee that is usable until I 'get the time' for the HW project. I have not yet stripped the varnish from the inside. What do you recommend doing with the outside while it's waiting for the next phase (at least months away)?
I've been reading the recent forum comments about linseed oil, so I probably won't be using that.... but is it ok to just leave it unfinished? I'm just concerned about the planking drying out too much. Also, if I do get to stripping the inside varnish this summer, then the inside would beg the same question.
Any opinions about Watco? I've used it on other wood items and so far haven't burned anything down by leaving the rags in a heap.
thanks,
Stu

Just store it under cover in an unheated space (barn, shed, garage), and it will be fine. Avoid excessive heat (e.g. garage attic), and don't try to get away with just putting a tarp over it.

Tarping over it!

Dont make the mistake I did when I got a 13' wood strip homemade given to me...I stripped the glass off it and just put it away outside on a couple of saw horses and covered it...NOT GOOD....I refuse to use it for kindling but created more problems than what I had to start with.

Back