Trailer design to haul a canoe upright

Douglas Kestell

Lignum Linter Fanaticus
I have a 17’ Chestnut Ogilvy that I’d like to haul upright fort ease of launching. I have an old boat trailer I picked up for free that was modified to haul a catamaran.

I am thinking several wide straps/ webbing slung under the canoe to distribute force from hitting potholes. I’m worried bunks could cause cracked ribs if they don’t match the hull profile exactly; but I am a serial / habitual over engineer.

Does anyone have photos of what they use and and suggestions?

Thanks

Doug,
I made a trailer with two carpet slings, similar to what I use in the shop. I used it to deliver a canoe 350 miles away and sold it to the canoe owner when I got there. I found that it was a cheap and easy way to move and store a heavy canoe.

Attachments

• IMG_3602.jpeg
    IMG_3602.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 40
While I understand your reasoning, I am not a big fan of this trailer arraignment. The canoe hull below the wales is very lightly built and intended have broad support from being floated in the water. This is why we all avoid walking inside the canoe when it is on the ground, especially if it has an external keel. Supporting a "heavy" canoe, or any canoe, is point loading the hull at the straps. You do risk cracking frames when moving the canoe over the road. The inwale/out wale/thwart/deck/stem structure is the most robust on a canoe and supporting the canoe here presents the lowest risk way of trailering it. That is not to say you can't get away with the strap design....I am just making the observation that it is a more risky way to move a traditional canoe over the road.

Back