Today's Canoe Car?

Thanks for all the replies - still waffling on Lynn's car. Still considering the $6K in repairs to the Outback, which the mechanic claims will gain us another 110K miles - assuming nothing else goes in the meantime.

If we go new (or newly used), the VW Sportwagen is at the moment at the top of the list. Trying to hold out to see what the 2015 drives like - it's not due out until 1st quarter.

Dan, What does the Subaru need that costs 6K ?? Did the timing belt go? I've got a '97 Outback with 190,000 . Have done just about everything to it.... wondering what you get for 6K of work these days...

Dan, What does the Subaru need that costs 6K ?? Did the timing belt go? I've got a '97 Outback with 190,000 . Have done just about everything to it.... wondering what you get for 6K of work these days...

That was dealer quote. We since got a quote from a local mechanic for about half that, and it is now in for repair. It needs head gasket, timing belt (scheduled replacement), oil pan, transmission pan, two axles and tires (routine maintenance).

Another vote for the Tacoma 4 dr - it's very car-like compared to many trucks I've owned, and very capable in the ways that matter. Mine came used with one of those Leer bed covers which I was "leer-y" of, but it is 100% watertight and turns the bed into a giant trunk. On balance, I like it.Picked up the Yakima bars cheap at a yard sale, added the Tacoma-specific components and a Thule t-bar, I'm good to go. And she will tow.

P1000665.jpg
P1000663.jpg

I think potential buyers ought to consider the brand new Chevv Colorada and GMC Canyon pickup trucks. They are much more modern vehicles - the current Tacomas and Frontiers are 10 year old designs. I loved my Tacoma but a recent drive of the Colorado was revelatory. More power, better ride, better fuel economy, back up camera, lots of airbags, etc.

John

Last edited:
My girlfriend just bought a 2015 Subaru Outback wagon. It is a rather amazing car however all the electronic wizardry is lost on me - touch screen, back up camera, warning lights for everything etc etc. The roof rack design which was changed by Subaru a few years ago, and which has been hotly debated here as well as on other forums, has two locations for the cross rails. The widest spacing for the bars is about 42" which is the same as on the old Subaru roof rack. Also installed on the car is a hitch for a light trailer. How the car will handle a roof top canoe or a light trailer will have to wait until Spring. Stayed tuned.

My sister-in-law's uncle also bought a 2015 Subaru a few weeks ago. He traded in his old Toyota Camry. He and his daughter were involved in a serious car crash with the new Subie. He walked away with a broken wrist and she had bumps & bruises. The car was totally destroyed. Looking at the wreck he said that if he was driving his old Camry they both would be dead. He credits the Subaru with saving their lives. My point is simply this. I use my car to transport canoes maybe 5% or less of the time I am driving the car. I transport the people I love 100% of the time. The ability of a car to transport a canoe will always be secondary to it's ability to keep me alive even if the canoe transport is less than completely convenient.

Jim

Honda CRV, we have three of them in the family. Both of my sons and myself. The 2002 has 350,000 miles on it and is doing well....

I know this an old thread but I had to ad my .2 cents. Dan... I also had the dreaded head gasket failure on a Subaru with slightly over 100,000 miles on it. I sold it and vowed I would never buy another. Car choice is a very personal thing based on many needs of which you listed a few of yours. I own a Ford F150 that I use for renovating houses. It is a great beater truck that does not let me down, is easy to work on myself, has 4x4 for Vermont and NH trips and uses plenty of gas. My family also has a Toyota Sienna which is great for carrying 7 people or lots of stuff. Road trips are fun in it. Fuel mileage is ok. Beach trips are fun because it is as if we have a changing room. Canoes can be put on the roof rack with ease. It has a tow hitch and can pull 3500 or 4000 pounds which is a whole lot of canoe(not enough for construction however). We also have a BMW X3 which is fairly small for 20 something men in the back seat unless you are limited to shot trips. Gas mileage is so so but it is a very fast small suv and can get around well in the snow with all wheel drive. And lastly we have a fairly new Volkswagen sport wagon diesel. Good for canoes on top. Can tow a 2000 trailer which is still a ton of canoe. Fuel mileage is 40 plus. Front wheel drive is good in snow. Back seat is large enough for normal sized adults. A long trip may not be a ton of fun in the back but your sons will most likely not spend too many more years in the back of your car. In 4 years of ownership we have put over 100,000 miles on the VW with no issues. We got it after the Subaru crossed us and I would never go back. The VW does everything the Subaru did except burn gas and break down. Now that your Subaru is working well I would sell it and get a VW diesel.

I believe the Sport Wagon is now called Golf. And diesel is the way to go.

Last edited:
Back