Ta da... They're done!

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Just finished restoring 3 canoes: 11' Old Town Trapper (aka 50 Pounder), a 16' Old Town Otca, and a 16' Penn Yan Owasco. Now I can have my garage back - just in time for winter. Plus the wife is happy and speaking to me again.

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN0467.jpg
    DSCN0467.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 285
Beautiful! Great job! Now where do you store them if not in the garage? Ha! Did the seats with the backs come with that canoe? I really like them.

Made 'em myself! This winter I plan to make seat backs for the Trapper & Owasco (just sold the Otca). If you want to see something neat, take a look at the way I treated the end of the stem bands on the Otca & Owasco. Nice to be retired & have time on one's hands...

Attachments

• DSCN0472.jpg
    DSCN0472.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 268
If by that you mean you have a canoe you want to give me, please, let me know! I'll be in your area over Thanksgiving!

Now there's a man with way too much time on his hands...puttin' little cury dados on the stem band ends...sheesh, next it'll be backs on seats...Oh, wait... ;)

Awesome Howie! That Trapper is very cool. I must say it's the first I've seen one of those little guys. It would be the perfect size for some of the smaller puddles around here. I favor the Penn Yan but they all look great. Well done!

i have one to give you but you would have to return it after you restored it. you do awesome work, those 3 canoes came out incredable, and your pretty quick also. keep it up i have a nice 17' morris available if you want to take it on. im kidding but no seriously.

Thanks for the kind words. I retired last year & decided I wanted to indulge myself & do what I like. I started off last November redoing my old Otca, then saw the Owasco advertised on Craig'sList. The poor thing was going to spend the winter all alone outside in the cold, so I had to rescue it. Then in March I got a note from someone who offered me the OldTown 11' along with a 13'er at a good price... and I couldn't resist them either. Now that the 3 are done I'll start on the 13'er.

Sorry - I'm afraid I just wouldn't want to refinish someone else's canoe. I figure there'd always be expectation problems. Much better to own them then sell - then there's no pressure on me or the potential new owner.

They look great! I'm particularly interested in the Trapper. I just picked one up last weekend. The last thing I needed was another project, but I just couldn't pass it up.

Howie - that's a fantastic job on those three canoes!! Nice work and special touches. The seats look great and I would like to try to do something like that this winter. Can you tell me - either words or pictures - how you secured them to the seat frame, and how you braced them to allow a person (like, for example, a wife!! ) to relax and lean back against them? And what are the general dimensions. Thanks - Al D

Back