Support jig for fragile canoe

jdm6593

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
What do people use to support an upside down canoe that is stripped down to bare rib ends sticking out? I have an 18 by 2 foot work table with two trestles supporting straps that work well while the boat is right side up. But when you flip it over it needs to be supported high enough to clear the stems and I fear the rib ends are too fragile to support the boat on any kind of horse. I drew up the only idea I have come up with (PDF attached). Two of these frames with a stretcher between could be strapped to the boat so you would have support while rolling the boat over. This whole affair would have to be removed for rib work though. Ideas? Thank you.

View attachment Work Jig.pdf IMG_2470.JPGIMG_2471.JPG

I guess I'd set it upside down on a couple stools. But you might want to get inwales on it before it opens up.

I, as Dave, would install the inwales and thwarts before any rib work is done. Once the overall shear shape has been re-established, new ribs, planks, or whatever can be easily completed.

Thanks Dave and Gil,

Getting those inwales on it first does sound safer. Time to do some serious long cherry shopping! I was proceeding along the lines of Jerry Stelmok's old article on restoration where he said to remove all of the bad wood first. But he never mentions in the article or in his book how to support an upside down boat that has no inwale.

Back