Serial number lookup, please

toho

Hello,
I am new to wooden canoes and this website. If someone could kindly tell me any information about a canoe with serial number "9928 16 champ", I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Pictures are needed...

The records of the old canoe companies don't exist except in a very few cases, but given pictures and the word "champ" someone here may recognize what you have.

Old Town 9928 doesn't match your canoe length-wise-- and Old Town never put the name of the model on the stem. For the record, OT 9928 is a 17 foot CS grade HW model canoe, with closed spruce gunwales and oak trim. It was shipped to Milwaukee 2/15/1909.

I put the word "champ" into the search function above, and got a query by Jimbo regarding the same canoe... only the s/n was 992B, with a "B" instead of an "8".

Again, pictures would help...

Kathy

Okay, I figured out how to put some pics up. Hope they help. It does not look to me to have lines that I associate with OT. But I am the first to admit I know little about wooden canoes. Appreciate any help available on identifying this one. Tx.

here are photos of a P'borough Champlain. Looks pretty close to me.

Attachments

• 100_0518.jpg
    100_0518.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 100_0522.jpg
    100_0522.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 100_0519.jpg
    100_0519.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_0521.jpg
    100_0521.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 286
Also in need of help finding out info about canoe

I have just purchased a Chestnut.

Number looks like 79103 or maybe 70103.

Probably the first one.

Where do I find out when it was made, the model and where it was made?

Also, is there something to help clarify the number?

Thanks

j_frimeth@hotmail.com

If the serial number isn't all gunked-up with paint or layers of varnish, sometimes all you need to do is wet it and take a picture with a digital camera, then post the picture here if you aren't sure... it can help to get the opinions of many viewers. If the serial number is gunked-up, using stripper should remove that... or carefully scraping or sanding, or doing a rubbing similar to what you can do with a tombstone (place paper on the number, and rub with charcoal or crayon).

Chestnut is one of the many companies for which there is no tie between a serial number and build information. There is, however, a very nice book that might give you even more appreciation for the canoe you own: Roger MacGregor's "When the Chestnut Was in Flower".

http://woodencanoe.org/catalog/prod...d=472&osCsid=33fb8f56bce095e2a71c32eae3741cfa

Kathy

Back