Serial number 16 17904 ? Old town? HELP!

Rbreed18

I could use a hand indetifying this canoe I recently picked up. The gentlemen told me it was a 1910 and was pretty sure it's an old town. The serial number is odd being that the length is first followed by 17904 on both bow and stern. The gentlemen told me it was completely painted when he bought it, him and his wife stripped most of the paint but decided it was too big a project. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 208
The Old Town canoe with serial number 17904 is 18 foot long in CS grade with no mahogany. The Kennebec Canoe Company put this serial number on a 17 foot long square stern outboard motor canoe. My guess is that you have the Carleton canoe with number 17904. This is an 16 foot long, AA (or top) grade, Carleton model with red western cedar planking, open mahogany gunwales, 30 inch special arched mahogany decks, mahogany thwarts, and mahogany seats. It was built between 1923 and February, 1924. The original exterior paint color was blue with a half inch gold stripe with turned down ends along with a black and white block border stripe. It shipped on March 13th, 1924 to Rochester, New York. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link under the thumbnail image attached below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description don't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Good luck with the restoration.

Benson

Attachments

• 17904.gif
    17904.gif
    116.8 KB · Views: 230
  • c-17904.gif
    c-17904.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 232
Too funny...
From a PM we exchanged yesterday about this canoe:

I wrote "Old Town bolts show up on lots of canoes...folks add them as a decoration or because they have them... they can be a solid indication of a repaired boat or they can also be an indication of a post diamond head Carleton. My 23 Carleton has diamond head bolts..."

A Carleton it is... nice snag..long decks don't show up all that often.

Looks like we have a match! Thanks for all the info and help guys. This looks a lot like my 1923 ideal and I'm excited to have some diversity among my small collection! IMG_0618.jpgIMG_0618.jpg

Back