Rubber Bumpers

smallboatshop

Restorers
we're fixing an old fiberglass canoe and need to replace the rubber bumpers that wrap the curve from the deck down. the material is 2 3/8" wide and is thicker in the middle with the thickness tapering to the edges so it will conform to the curve. checked in the Hamilton Marine (Maine) and Jamestown Distributors catalogs but couldn't find the material.
Does anyone know where it can be purchased?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Rubber Bumper.JPG
    Rubber Bumper.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 318
Not sure I've ever seen this before, but what about the As-Seen-On-TV rubber in a spray can? Or use normal canoe skid pads?

I did an eBay search of "rubber boat bumpers" and got a few things that weren't the little conical roundish things that come up with a "rubber bumpers" search. Maybe something would work.

I've had "rubber baby buggy bumpers" in my head since reading your post... like a musical ear-worm, it won't leave me alone...

The bumpers on those Indian Brand canoes were actually vinyl. They were attached with a combination of contact cement and a single, stainless flat-head screw at the lower end. The material was cut from a roll by hand, so what you're really looking for is most likely some sort of heavy vinyl weather stripping, threshold material, etc. not something made or sold specifically to be a boat bumper. I suspect it may just be something that Lew Gilman originally found in a hardware store. By the way, they work pretty well and despite not being particularly sophisticated layups by today's standards, Indian Brand canoes were exceptionally tough boats for fiberglass.

I think what you are looking for and might be able to use is called a Keel Guard or another called Keel Shield

Thanks for all your good information. Couldn't find anything locally so have ordered the keeleasy as suggested by Kim.

Dan

Back