Roof Rack for 2009 Mini Cooper

millie_sass

Canoe anybody?
I need to get a roof rack for my 2009 Mini Cooper hardtop so that I can carry my canoe. There is no "moon roof" on the car, but there is that tiny "spoiler" at the back. The local Mini dealer recommended the kayak carrier from Seasucker.com:

http://www.seasucker.com/shop/paddle-board-rack/#tab-description

I would appreciate any experience others might have with this or other racks for Mini Coopers. I would like to purchase a rack that is easy to put on and off since I would like to have it off the car in the winter.

I don't know which of these can fit a Mini Cooper, but Yakima, Thule, and Malone are a good starting point. Google them, and find their "car fitter" or whatever they call it...

Remember that you need to try to maximize the distance between the crossbars, to avoid undue stresses on the canoe. Back when cars had rain gutters, this was much easier than it is today. If you can put a trailer hitch on the car, you can use that as the mount for the rear "tree" that holds the crossbar. This will stretch the distance between crossbars, but makes access to the rear hatch more difficult.

Let us know how it turns out -- we really like pictures of canoes, and cars with canoes as hats!

Thanks. I will check out the brands that you suggest. I don't have a trailer hitch at the moment, but do have a connections on the back bumper that permits one to be easily attached.

I had a couple Mini's but never put a rack on. My daughter has an '07 mini and needs a rack. I've seen them and they look ok. A guy in Marquette carries an 18' wood strip kayak on his mini all the time. It's doable.

Mini Cooper topped with 16-foot Peterborough

IMG_3878.JPG

Not tied down yet, but here is a 2009 Mini with 16-foot Peterborough on top.
The roof rack is an official Mini rack -- all of the others interfered with the windows.
The tie down was done with ropes. Drove 60+ miles with no movement at all.
This was the right solution for me.

Back