Removing tarnish on new brass stem bands

Jerry Fruetel

A well built wooden canoe is a work of art
Anyone know of a simple way to remove the factory tarnish on new brass stem bands? I've tried polishes (Brasso, Simichrome), paint stripper, deck cleaner, hot vinegar and salt, lemon juice, and various drain cleaners containing some serious chemicals-- both with and without steel wool. Nothing seems to work well at all. About the only thing I haven't tried is aluminum foil in vinegar/salt. I know tarnish can be removed with a lot of elbow grease, but I'm hoping there's an easier way. Anyone?

I sand, like Fred... Then buff them with an inexpensive buffing motor that I bought from Harbor Freight.
I mount them on a stick when buffing.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I tried 400 grit sandpaper then polish, and it worked fine. I also experimented with hydrochloric (aka muriatic) acid rubbed with steel wool and polished with Simichrome, and that worked well, too. Jan, the factory tarnish I've encountered on new stem bands seems different and less appealing than the patina that develops with age-- factory tarnish is very dull (no sheen whatsoever) with a chalky look and feel.

Depending on the condition of the brass and/or copper, I sand and/or file to remove as much as is appropriate. Then continue with sanding....eg. 220,320,400,600,. Then polish on a little buffer wheel in your drill using red rouge..... then clean with soft cloth and maybe a wax coat. A product called NEVER DULLS is used by many who like to keep up the SHINE . There are many variations on this theme, but you will find out rather quickly what satisfies you. Oh, and I love to polish the silver for a special dinner and check the wine glasses for water spots. ....question...highly polished copper, nickel or brass versus patination...

Back