Ready for canvas

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
Peterborough Champlain, lowered rails and 5 new ribs, ready to be wrapped. Likely a 1940's boat, steel gunwale screws, nails in stem and seat and thwart hanger bolts. Planked in WRC, 2 more coats of varnish and it gets a skin.

Attachments

• IMG_3936.jpg
    IMG_3936.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 363
For sure Steve, this was a major rebuild with all new rib tips, rails, stem ends and then the refinish and canvas - just have to pick a colour but leaning to black since I've always wanted one that colour. This one has a sail kit as well, but the rudder was kind of hard on the single skinny stem so I dont really want to remount it, and I'm on the fence about putting in the mast thwart since the rails are new. Maybe do it after the rest of the sail kit is refinished.

Anyone NOT familiar with the Group of Seven wanna guess what colour this is going into? Was out having a print framed and picked this up from the paint section of the artists supplies. Might have been done before but I've wanted to give it a try for a long while. Is it too early for cabin fever:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 301
"Painted using a mixture of regular marine grey and an artist’s $2 tube of cobalt blue
There was little chance of mistaking Tom Thomson’s distinctive dove grey canoe"

Should be an interesting colour, Andre.

Denis,thats my favourite Thompson, I've had it for a few years but never got around to framing it. Browse around the Group of 7 here
http://www.artcountrycanada.com/
I'm not usually into impressionism but when i look at them I see the area they are trying to capture, and to that end look through the works by Gauthier if you like Georgian Bay, he does a great job - I've got some of his works too since they take me right there when i see them.

You should check out Phil Chadwick’s work on Tom Thomson. See http://chadwick.homestead.com/home.htm. Phil is a recently retired meteorologist and artist (also known as Phil The Forecaster). He has an interesting way of placing Tom Thomson's art into the context that Phil feels he intended…..by looking at the weather patterns in his art. Phil sees Tom as a genius at observing and recording the natural world. Tom was motivated by the environment and the elements of nature. Over the last few decades, Phil has applied CSI (Creative Scene Investigation) to most of Tom's plein air art. An interactive PowerPoint presentation on the topic of "Tom Thomson Was A Weatherman!" can be quite enlightening (one is planned for Awenda Provincial Park Saturday and Sunday September 17 and 18th, 2011). Phil has spoken at Algonquin Park often too. Phil is also a good friend of Roy MacGregor , who wrote "Northern Light: The Enduring Mystery of Tom Thomson and the Woman Who Loved Him", a definitive work on Tom Thomson .

Back