Rawhide seats

van der Vlugt BW

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone know where I can get new rawhide seats for a Huron? Or a source for the rawhide so I can make my own? Thanks Tim

Tim
The search function is your friend.
Info on this has been previously posted.
Rawhide is also known as Babiche

Hi Tim, I order the 5mm for canoe seats (two lots) and if you have Mike Elliot's book "This Old Canoe" page 84 explains everything you'll need for weaving a Huron seat. As well as instructions for making new seats if you need? I find it easier and less time consuming than caning seats but love the look of a caned seat. Hope this helps, Gary

Thanks Gary, I like the cane seats as well but wanted to restore this Huron canoe as close to original as possible. Tim

Tim, I agree I've done 3-4 Huron canoes and did the original babiche weaved seats in each. These canoes are often looked down on as they can have gaps between the planking, sometimes a rough grade of lumber used for the planking and none of the finer accents found in some other canoes but they are a treat to paddle, can carry a good load, and stable in rough water. I've heard them referred to as the Volkswagen of canoes.
I know you'll enjoy yours once you get it back on the water. Best of luck with the restoration.
Gary

There is a lot of info about working with rawhide for canoe seats in this old thread, in case you haven't yet seen it.

Back