Possible Build Record or Info

Scotty H

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Good evening WCHA,

Respectfully request your support in assisting me with any info avail for a possible OT serial # 5974 1434. The canoe has had repairs. It is 16 ft, 13 inches in depth, width is 32 1/2 inches. Please refer to attached photo's.

DSCF3256.jpg

DSCF3257.jpg

DSCF3258.jpg

DSCF3260.jpg

Kind regards,

Scotty H from the North.

Welcome, Scotty,

Your canoe isn't an Old Town, but someone who recognizes it should jump in and offer information. The seats, if original, are similar to canoes built in Canada.

With most canoe companies, records don't exist to attach a build record to the serial number, but a serial number can be helpful in identifying a canoe's builder, and occasionally a builder placed clues in the number which offer information.

I can poke around the information I have on Canadian canoes and maybe something will click!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy. I didn't think it was an OT. I'm really interested in a build date. Hopefully the pics will help bring some info to light. I picked it up in Western Quebec north of Gatineau (Hull) CAN.

Regards,

Scotty

Looks like a #1434 on stem, Peterborough Champlain. Seats and thwarts are changed, mast thwart and step are same as mine. . Looks to be in very nice shape. Seats have been dropped too. Will be very nice restored with canvas on it.

Looks like a #1434 on stem, Peterborough Champlain. Seats and thwarts are changed, mast thwart and step are same as mine. . Looks to be in very nice shape. Seats have been dropped too. Will be very nice restored with canvas on it.

Merci très beaucoup Andre. Yes the seats, thwarts and inner/outer gunwales have been replaced. The seats were dropped to lower paddlers center of gravity. I picked it up for $200.00

Regards,

Scotty

Not bad, I'd give you back your 200.00 any day. Decks do seem too wide, are you sure the inner and outers are changed as well? Did it have any hardware on the stern stem for a rudder? Not the best set up but they did put them on along with leeboards. hopefully the gunwale screws are not steel.
If you've not been reading old posts, the first set of numbers is of no use since no records exist for this company.

Back