please help identifing this boat

jwil

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
It looks like a Penn Yann but has a cowling which I do not see in the old catalogs the gunnel lenght is 15'8" transom top 36" and middle (widest) 46". The keel is 13'6" to where it attaches to the exterior stem band. I could really use help with the following;
what wood is used for the planking (it looks like oak for the spray rails and spruce rails) to me it looks like red cedar
what model is it? a fisherman perhaps??
There are no serial numbers as of yet which I have found
The glass has proven to be a big challenge to remove would it have been originally canvassed? and if so only to the spray rails? (it is currently only glassed to them)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 255
  • photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    149 KB · Views: 264
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 242
The planking is almost certainly western red cedar. Oak spray rails were standard for many manufacturers. Ribs are most likely oak. Old Town substituted ash for oak on some boats, but most others did not. It was not likely to have been canvassed, but might have been originally fiberglassed to the spray rail. That would explain why it is so hard to remove. If so, that would place the date of manufacture in the mid-late 1950's. Earlier Penn Yan boats did not use bead and cove cedar strips as Larson, Thompson, and some others did. That might be a clue. PY almost always used Reed and Prince screws. The PY catalogs extolled the virtue of the fisherman's "open" layout, but the deck is unlike almost all PY decks. PY also made boats for Sears, Montgomery Wards, and others if the price were right. I don't have a good guess as to the manufacturer.

photo 3.JPGphoto 1 (2).JPGThanks Gil always nice to hear from the experienced ones. So you do not believe it is a Penn Yan? Where else could I search for clues to other manufactures, could it be an Old town? I have tried our friends at wooden boat but as they do not host photos
I was unable to post any. If we cannot determine the pedigree what would good options for finishing the bottom, other than glass, be?
thanks

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 201
Looks just like a Thompson. The ribs and planking, the seats and their support risers and their metal brackets, the floor grating - all are characteristic of Thompson. I've got one just like this and it has a Thompson tag from Cortland NY.

I have an OT Square Stern and have looked at many other OT square sterns, I am far from an expert but it does not look like any OT square stern that I have seen. OT used natural knees as thwart supports, not metal brackets. OT did put small decks on the forward end of the boats. Also the width and spacing of the ribs is different then mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 231
This looks like a Thompson. a longer version than the one in the shop. It is a 12'er. What I don't see is the typical Thompson double floor like in the one here.

Back