Painter ring particulars

Chuey

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello,
New guy here. I've reconditioned a 1967 Old Town Molitor and am ready to put on the stem bands. I've been thinking of trying the style where you bend the stem band so it makes a half loop for the painter ring. I'm wondering if that's an acceptable style for this canoe? Would it be too weak? It's a pretty big and heavy canoe and may tug mightily when it's tethered to some cleats.

The boat has outside stems of oak.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chuey

sounds to tricky, Get a nice brass pad eye and grind a hollow in the back of the screw area to accept the stem band. Screw on good through the stem band or thu bolt, unless your worried about being historically accurate. Dave

Chuey,

Stem bands typically attached via very small # 4 screws. Stresses on the painter would most likely rip the band off.

Even painter rings screwed to the deck make me nervous. Especially if you are using it as a tie-down point on a vehicle. If using a ring, I would through bolt it. Or, use some other method of attachment. I personally like short carry thwarts.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I build strippers and have my own style of making provision for painters but on the wood/canvas canoes I have, so far, they all have carry thwarts. That's why I don't know what to do with this one. I don't really like the idea of putting a ring on top of the fancy (long) decks and it is the length of the decks that preclude carry thwarts. Since there is a stout structure to support the decks, that may be the most sensible place, on this canoe, to put the rings. In fact, it looks as if there were previously some up there.

Chuey

Stem bands typically attached via very small # 4 screws. Stresses on the painter would most likely rip the band off.

Most of my experience is with traditional Canadian style cedar strip canoes (Here: https://cdober.smugmug.com/Canoes/Almas-Canoe/i-cqwSdFD ). They typically use the stem band ring attachment method. I've often towed canoes (both loaded and not) with small outboards, tied them to docks, and hauled them onto a beach with those rings, and I've never seen one with the band ripped off.

While I'm sure it could be done with enough abuse, it's not that much of a problem. Note in the attached photo that the screws holding down the end of the band are bigger than the flathead screws that are used along the length and add a good bit of additional strength. It's very neat way to attach a ring, and it does work well...

Cliff

20160603_105703.jpg

Like Cliff, I figure if Peterborough did it, then it can't be that bad, so I put a ring under the stemband on this restoration that is underway. Note that Cliff's shot shows the bend extending above the deck, while an alternative is to leave a bit of space below the deck, as I did, then used two screws into the top of the deck. Tom McCloud

Attachments

• STH71657resizecrop.jpg
    STH71657resizecrop.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 371
Back